[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Self Help books?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 510j2HKMpYL.jpg (59KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
510j2HKMpYL.jpg
59KB, 333x500px
Looking for books on self improvement but cannot find much besides Self Help like pic related. Are they good? If not, should I read some philosophy on self improvement? What philosophers and works cover that?
>>
>>8743683
90% of the people that are attracted to self help can't help themselves.

Start with the greeks.
>>
File: vE151213.jpg (17KB, 294x282px) Image search: [Google]
vE151213.jpg
17KB, 294x282px
>>8743683
>Are they good?
Unfortunately, I fell for the self-help meme. Several times actually. The problem with them is usually that the self-help is written in perspective of the author. This author has his own distinct ideology of how one should be improving him or herself.

Surely, humans are not all the same. So I would say that self-help isn't useful since most authors do not just bring ideas to the table, which you are free to choose from, but push their own ideas, ideology really, on you as they feel confident that their idea works (yeah for them).

It does not only ignore that people are different, but that people are from nature different. How we behave, our personality and so on, is not only brought a by culture and personal experiences, it is also partly genetically determined.

You also have to consider, from research in psychology, that the succes of the author is most likely due to luck and other factors then what he describes to. Humans will rationalize their success afterwards and not in any accurate way.

Another reason to avoid self-help books is that in truth they are a kind of confirmation bias. I would suggest to just search for concepts and ideas to help you to self-improve as well as fail and recover.
>>
>>8743683
I looked up Mike Cernovich to determine if he was a worthy source of helpful information. In California, a state believed to have alimony laws that almost always favor women, he was forced to receive $1 million in alimony from his first wife. This man wrote the forward to a book called Cuckservatives.

Seems like a legit source to activate the Gorilla Mindset and achieve Alpha Status.
>>
>>8743690
what philosophers and their works cover this tho?
>>
>>8743719
He's fucking pathetic, he's brings shame to the Right
>>
>>8743729
Not a single one that is worth your time, you have to understand that you as a individual is not a subject of importance.
>>
>>8743729
Sextus Empiricus: Against the Grammarians, Against the Rhetoricians, Against the Geometers, Against the Arithmeticians, Against the Astrologers, Against the Musicians, Against the Logicians, Against the Physicists, Against the Ethicists
>>
File: 2014-12-17-Moroni2YoungLady.jpg (56KB, 640x470px) Image search: [Google]
2014-12-17-Moroni2YoungLady.jpg
56KB, 640x470px
>>8743719
>and achieve Alpha Status.
As if this purely ideological alpha status exists, and not simply is due to biochemistry, genetics and the social hegenomy that exists amongst human groups. As if you can overcome such things by reading a book, when it really is about positive feedback and biological traits that are out of the individual control.

What you seem to be doing is falling for pure folk wisdom and not the actual reality of how things work.

You are the kind of person that reads such charlatan nonsense of what to do, then begins to believe that, maybe even doing what is described, and will judge the book for being right or wrong when you succeed or fail when it really are other factors that do make you succeed or fail.

Not that a feeble mind such as yours would understand such a thing. It clearly shows from which a place you come from.
>>
>>8743770
After reading that post all I can say is holy.... I want more!

What books did you read to achieve The Pseud Mindset?
>>
>>8743719
>implying that cucking your ex-wife and getting her to fund your NEETist modern aristocrat lifestyle isn't alpha
I mean, you can say a lot about Cernovich, but that specific thing is alpha as fuck.
>>
>>8743683
Cerno's election coverage was like a university course in self-promotion. Since he was open about it, it was really refreshing.

He was a member on Rooshvforum under the name MikeCF. The discussions there were a part of his background, so to speak; it's his subcultural background.

>>8743719
Yes, getting money from a woman, how lame.

Except I am 99% sure that you are left-winger who despises rich "chads," and believes their money should not be respected.

Which is it? Is someone less respectable, less of a man, for having less money, or not?
>>
>>8743801
Money = bad

Having lots of money = bad

Giving money away = good
>>
>>8743809
Why would you inflict such a dehumanising, capitalistic burden on those innocent poor people? It's practically molestation.
>>
>>8743782
>What books did you read to achieve The Pseud Mindset?
Call it what you will, you are predisposed to not like the outcome of what I am stating. What I am getting at is what is called "folk": there's folks physics, folk chemistry, folk psychology and so forth. While occasional right, these predispositions are often myth.

It is not even that knowing about such things, makes one less suspectible to them. And it is not only so much these folk ideas of reality, but also our innate psychology that warps reality in such a way that it confirms our worldview, gives us meaning, intentionality, a myth of control over our lives, and so forth. Human's are riddled with cognitive biases and fallacies to keep their fragile minds from collapsing giving them a sense of control when much is due to factors out of our control.

As if you are interested in knowing what books I've read to come to such a conclusion. These books are simply popular-scientific treatises on the nervous system, the mind and genetics with a few scientific papers and philosophical essays to the mixture.
>>
Cernovich is such a cheeky cunt I can't help, but love him. I feel the same way about Alex Jones. That said, I have no interest in reading his books.
>>
File: 1479005616529.jpg (151KB, 1972x312px) Image search: [Google]
1479005616529.jpg
151KB, 1972x312px
>>8743879
Yeah, just shitpost at him on twitter, don't actually buy his books.

I feel the same way, except I've come to accept that Alex is almost invariably proven right and I've come to genuinely respect him.
>>
>>8743782
Underrated
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.