[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Worth reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: Neuromancer_Brazilian_cover.jpg (12KB, 235x350px) Image search: [Google]
Neuromancer_Brazilian_cover.jpg
12KB, 235x350px
Worth reading?
>>
It's worth reading, but it'll drag on because it's so poorly written. Neuromancer is a prime example of "right idea, poorly executed"
>>
>>8743308
Okay. i'll give it a miss then. Thanks.
>>
>>8743296
No. It was awful writing, boring characters, 80s action movie plot and is 200 pages too long for what it offers.
>>
What's a better cyberpunk book then? I heard Snow Crash...

My buddy just recommended neuromancer and the first chapter was difficult to get through ;_;
>>
>>8743428
Snow Crash is actually even worse.
>>
It's great if you like retarded gibberish prose.
>>
>>8743296
Why don't you read it instead of asking fucking /lit/?

You know you're going to get elitist pseud-answers from the people here.

Case in point:

>>8743308
>>8743319
>>8743437
>>
>>8743428
Neuromancer gets harder to read - the first chapter isn't even that hard so if you struggle with it don't bother with the rest. If you're not an avid reader and the kind of person into tech but just going into reading because it sounds cool, it's not for you.

If you want an easier read that you might like and I think is a bit easier to get through try Altered Carbon.
>>
>>8743443
Fuck off retard.
>>
>>8743444
my trips are of truth

Snow crash is entirely ironic btw. I liked it, but Stephenson's prose is autofellatio and /lit/ thinks it's just tripe. A bit easier to read, but only really works if you've read a lot of cyberpunk - it's entirely ironic and tongue in cheek (protagonist called Hiro Protagonist, etc).
>>
File: triggered.jpg (16KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
16KB, 320x371px
>>8743445
butthurt
>>
i liked it
>>
>>8743308
Being fair, the next two veer towards being more trite and less interesting concepts being introduced, but the writing improves drastically. Neuromancer is still the best in the trilogy.
>>
>>8743443
>>8743445
When you hurt a pseuds fee fees
>>
It's all right as is the prose. Better thank Frank “Betrayed” Herbert’s at least. Keep in mind that many of the ideas presented were not commonplace as they are today. The second and third novels aren't as good since there's less focus on the characters and the novelty has worn off by then.
>>
>>8743296
Worth reading as a historian. Terrible novel otherwise.
Still has some fanboys among people who only read shlock -- the very occasional bit of non-standard prose has them easily impressed.
>>
File: Ubik(1stEd).jpg (40KB, 350x568px) Image search: [Google]
Ubik(1stEd).jpg
40KB, 350x568px
Is this good?
>>
>>8743563
Yes, Dick always takes you for a short, trippy ride.
It's not amazing, but it's worth checking out.
>>
>>8743443
Nice troll. Neuromancer is unenjoyable, and it's solely because of the prose.
>>
Still can't believe some think this is better than Oshiis Ghost in the Shell. Executed many of the same ideas better and without the techno orientalism
>>
Neurmancer was okay enough,but its interesting ideas drown in its soupy prose. Snow Crash is goofy fun,and all over the place stylistically. I liked it a lot,but if you want something more cyber-steampunky,I reccomend The Diamond Age.
>>
>>8743296
its ok, bit wonky but if you want to read about a drugged up loser guiding a fit girl on missions this is the book for you.
>>
>>8743563
fantastic.
>>
File: Neuromancer.jpg (59KB, 576x860px) Image search: [Google]
Neuromancer.jpg
59KB, 576x860px
>>8743296
I consider it essential 80's sci fi reading. It's established a lot of tropes which we are still seeing today. As far as prose, it is stylish, which some people either love or hate, as this thread shows.
>>
>>8743428
Snow Crash is awful. Every page is just "I bet you thought that last page was extreme"

>>8743444
>If you're not an avid reader and the kind of person into tech

Into tech? This is the book where hacking is riding a shark through cyberspace.
>>
>>8744367
that fucking cover
>>
>>8744564
Gold, right? They don't make 'em like this anymore.
>>
What's difficult about Gibson's books? I have way more problems with Sterling
>>
>>8744639
Nothing, really. /lit/ is just wrought with rampant and endemic haterism.
>>
It's great. Definitely among the best SFF. Prose's execution can get grating (everything is fat; typical 80s burger) but in actual style it's admirable.

Ridiculously fast&easy read, so just go through it if you're interested.
>>8744639
Nothing. I don't know how you'd find it difficult even if you were really new to literature.
>>
>>8744727
Agreed
>>
>>8743296
Is it just me, or did it become really jumbled and confusing towards the end?
>>
>>8745500
Yes, but there is much worse
>>
The last half of the book is incomprehensible, from a structural/syntactical point of view. It didn't have to be like that.
>>
>>8745500
The finale is awesome. I thought the beginning was the worst part because it focuses too much on the boring characters.

>>8743296
great book cover
>>
>>8743444
being into tech isn't a requirement at all. gibson was a retarded hippie who didn't understand technology at all
>>
>>8745500
The fuck you on about? The ending is perfect. The whole build in tone from earthy seediness at the beginning to spiritual heavenliness at the end is God-tier. It's Count Zero that has the garbled, anticlimactic shit-tier ending.
>>8745966
Pleb.
>>8747146
Pleb. My dad was one of the first people who got into commercial internet, in the 80s, and he was surrounded by people (himself included) jizzing bucketloads about Gibson's work.
>>
>>8747314
ur dad was a pleb. Gibson=trash.
>>
>>8747316
Brave thing to say faggot when my dad could beat the shit out of yours.
>>
>>8747434
DELETE THIS
>>
>>8743296
I gave it a go some time ago but never finished it. I found the concept interesting but not what I expected given its praise. I currently don't have any plans to pick it back up
>>
>>8743296
It's just messy pulp that isn't even fun. Only recommended as the obligatory cyberpunk read.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.