[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remake of the 3 Book Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: mixed memes.jpg (528KB, 1090x1408px) Image search: [Google]
mixed memes.jpg
528KB, 1090x1408px
You are tasked with giving a man who has no recollection of his past, 3 pieces of literature to read, in an effort to further his thinking and expose him to philosophical ideas and experiences others have lived through (fiction is alright as well). Don't worry about the language it is written in.

Choose your 3 books in the following format:
>book 1
>book 2
>book 3

Support your book choices with any line of reasoning you wish to pursue, written below the choices. Giving him the equivalent of dog shit for the sake of laughs means you will not be taken seriously, and seen instead as an /a/ tier shit poster.
>>
One more rule: can also be something you've written but the minimum word count is 100,000.
>>
>The Bible
>Hamlet
>White Noise
>>
Honestly, if the person has no memories at all, there's no point. He has to live first.
There's definitely no point in starting with the Greeks, especially philosophical works.
If I still had to make a recommendation, I'd probably go for some Shakespeare.
>>
>>8740643
If you don't mind indulging me, why is there no point in starting with the Greeks, wouldn't the blank template be of some benefit in learning any new ideas?

As for me, I'm not even sure, still considering it. I was actually going to recommend Hamilton's mythology, the KJV bible, and one of the collection books on Shakespeare. My exposure is too limited for a proper answer.
>>
Tales from the hills, The Wind in the Willows, Shardik.
>>
>>8740485
I'd make him read Harry Potter so that he would think that magic is real
>>
>>8740711
God fucking dammit anon, if its fiction we'll tell him.

>>8740697
Thank you for the contribution.
>>
>>8740726
>if its fiction we'll tell him.

Why? It'd be interesting so see whether he could differentiate fiction from nonfiction
>>
>>8740660
It was a bit of a hasty response, now that I think about it more, I think we'd first have to establish the following three things:
How much does this person know of the world and specifically the world around him?
What purpose are these books supposed to serve?
And what role are they supposed to play in his overall education?

Initially, I assumed the person knew absolutely nothing except for language, basic human interaction and perhaps physics and such. I also assumed these books were supposed to educate him about the world, and that reading was to be the primary form of education. In that case, I claim there is no point and it is the wrong approach.
>>
Complete Plato
Kjv bible
Gibbon's Decline and Fall
Complete Shakespeare
>>
>>8740741
...I'll bite. You win this time, /a/.

>>8740746
Your assumptions are correct, so let us continue as to why there is no point and this is the wrong approach. The person is familiar with natural laws, language is not a problem consider them well versed in any language (for the sake of the scenario), has an above average mental capacity, and reading is indeed to be the primary form of education.

>>8740752
cheated but still, thank you.
>>
>Kjv bible
>Summa theologica
>Fear and Trembling
>>
>>8740758
We still haven't been quite clear about what the purpose of this reading is, but given the situation I would assume it's to bring him up to speed on the world around him.
In that case, we need books that will depict a world in which things work roughly similarly to the way they do today, however without getting too caught up in the specifics. I would avoid contemporary literature that involves modern technology, there I'm almost certain that you have to learn about it first before you can understand it in a book, rather than doing it the other way around. Going too far back will both be misleading and teach him things that he would better learn at a later point when he gets into history. Also, I think it's a given that anything mythological/fantastical is not a good idea (>>8740711).

Thinking about it more, I'd now say that a 20th century "social novel" (I have never heard this term in English but it seems to be the translation for "Gesellschaftsroman") would be best as a first book.
Shakespeare I still think would be a decent choice. The language is antiquated, as is the society depicted, but it still isn't too far away, and the display of human nature is pretty timeless (and of course, this is what Shakespeare is excellent at).
As for the Bible, I think this is going too deep beneath the surface. This is enlightening, but only once you have a firm grasp of the "surface" itself IMO.
>>
>>8740758
Why is that cheating? Multiple volumes? The only one of those which I haven't seen complete in a single volume is Gibbon, and even that comes in a single volume abridged.
>>
>>8740485
>my
>diary
>desu
>>
>>8740804
Unironically I think a representative selection of diaries wouldn't be a bad choice at all.
>>
>>8740796
>mfw first time I read a post on 4chan that is clearly articulated and makes sense in over a year

Thank you for the contribution. Didn't even bother to think it through when writing the OP.

>>8740799
Just teasing anon, I wrote cheating since I said 3 recommendations but you made 4.

>>8740815
>>8740804
I haven't read it but I'm wary. I'll look into it.
>>
>>8740828
>...I'll bite. You win this time, /a/.
>>mfw first time I read a post on 4chan that is clearly articulated and makes sense in over a year

Why are you typing like a such a huge faggot holy shit
>>
>>8740835
>le
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.