[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

American English is not English.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

So, I was hearing some frog radio program and someone said that american english is what it is because all those people coming from such different places needed a simple language to communicate despite their vastly different cultural backgrounds, ie different conceptions and behaviors.

So, that in such a mess some order was needed and we got this 'english' as a result. Some kind of natural esperanto, so to speak. Something not as ugly as a preconceived language, but not quite as a natural human language either.

And we all know how language reflects/inlfuences the culture and thought of those holding it.

Thoughts?
>>
None of this makes any sense when you consider British English exists. Also not /lit/
>>
>>8739337
What? The implied message is that British English is real English, or in a more broader perspective, a genuine and spontaneous human creation, while american is some lesser creole product of colonialism, which means it is some subhuman monstrosity that keeps those holding it trapped in a state that apparently they are condemned to suffer as long as they exist. It is what they are.

>talk about language
>not lit

i wanna slap your face gently but hard.
>>
>>8739360
an it is, just hearing americans speak make me want to vomit.
>>
>>8739360
How many differences are there from British english to American English? And are you saying like olde english, because if thats the case British speak much closer to American english than ye olde english

Also, the only thing that is not cool about english, and maybe any language, is words that are not pronounced how they are spelt, or words that are spelled very similarly but pronounced different. Other than that, bearing its the only language I know, I think it is quite clean, sleek, logic, dictionaries are positively massive, there is such beautiful range of phonology, when I hear other languages it sounds like similar concepts said over and over, but english has such broad style sound ranges I think, only thing I naturally discovered I dont (<<) much care for is using apostrophes sometimes, do not, the point of dont, is because its shorter to write, but the only difference is an o, and if you want to be picky a space, so you fill one of those actions with an apostrophe, and I never wanted to try to learn all the different times and occasions to put apostrophes appropriately because when I am writing in the heat of the moment, thinking 6 words ahead continuously while also thinking of various abstract images moving, afraid I will lose concentration, I cant be bothered to think of all these rules, I understand it may be annoying to read a sentence of mine where I fail, and you are unsure the exact word meaning, but when is dont not dont. Boing, Going.
>>
>>8739408
>fill one of those actions with an apostrophe

forgot to mention I also think it looks tacky, slopping up the space with floaty marks, looks primitive, I cant complain about "these" though I guess, because they have their interesting use
>>
This is an American website. Speak AMERICAN!

*uses my rifle as a buttplug*
>>
>>8739330
English is a natural language. Maybe some of the vocabulary has been influenced by immigrants from different cultural and linguistic backgrounds, but that is actually just a small part of the language (and it is something that affects all languages, especially in this day and age). British and American English really don't differ all that significantly in terms of the syntax. The phonological systems of the two languages are quite different, but I don't really see much of a case for this being the result of America being a melting pot. In fact, in some respects standard American English pronunciation may be more conservative than British English in terms of pronunciation.

What it sounds like you are talking about is a creole language, which is something that happens a lot in colonial areas, in areas where there are international slave trades, along trade routes, etc. You have lots of people coming together who speak different languages. Often there is a lingua franca that these people use to communicate. Usually this lingua franca is the language of the dominant colonial power. And usually most of the people in the area don't speak it very well. They start speaking a pidgin, which is more like what you are talking about (kind of, kind of, like a constructed language) It has vocabulary and phonology that is a mix of the different languages, and usually very simplistic syntax, much simpler than normal natural languages. Sometimes people begin speaking this pidgin as they first language, and over time the language develops a fully fledged syntax like a normal language. I think for example the American Gullah dialect would be an example of this.

But that is not what American English is --recognizing the fact of course that there are a lot of dialects of American English.

There is even more dialectical variation in Great Britain though. And English itself is an interesting sort of mongrel language. It is a Germanic language that absorbed a ton of Norman French vocabulary after the Norman Conquest. But it was always a fully fledged natural language. The process occured gradually and mostly unconciously. It was not a constructed language nor did it resemble one.

Long story short, it's an interesting topic, but I think that radio host was flat out wrong or maybe you misinterpreted what he/she was saying.
>>
>>8739330
>american english is what it is because all those people coming from such different places needed a simple language to communicate despite their vastly different cultural backgrounds

This is really an explanation for why Americans don't get anything that's subtle or ironic, take everything literally and need everything spelt out extremely clearly. The whole concept of smileys or 'emojis' online is another result of this - Americans see everything as being literal unless you explicitly tell them otherwise, so they find it a problem to read things online without these symbols to aid them in interpretation. They're using English, but it's an English that was shorn of all nuance to ensure all their various groups can understand.
>>
It's bullshit, English developed naturally and was somewhat manipulated in the Renaissance and Modern eras to become like an auxiliary or counterculture language, but that doesn't change the fact that the basis of it is still natural and it is far less formalized than most of the languages that it takes from.

She's a millennia and a half old now, even a constructed language like Esperanto would be very prone to transformation if it were made the primary language of a large population with influence from other languages (and I'm no linguist, but I imagine since it is an auxiliary language, that it would morph into something fitting at least somewhat well into the language group of the nearby languages. E.g., if it were placed around the Spain/France/Italy region it would become much more Romantic than it currently is given hundreds of years.)

I wonder if it will change with the mass flood of more and more Easterners moving to English-speaking countries, or if media and higher populations has given it a kind of artificial formality that prevents foreign influences from penetrating it as easily as it did in the past. But the night is still young.
>>
>>8739330
>flavor
>flavour

Wow what a difference
>>
>>8739570
Reminder that Canada uses 'flavour' and probably had to deal with more languages since it's much larger and has an isolated North, and French colonists.
>>
>>8739448
>. It is a Germanic language that absorbed a ton of Norman French

I actually googled this today, maybe related:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130418172256AAxqu1z
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.