[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /lit/'s opinion on DFW's idea of "The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: pepefosterwallace.jpg (147KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pepefosterwallace.jpg
147KB, 500x500px
>>
>>8735806
Wrong board
>>>/mlp/
>>
>>8735810
Anon, I think you are mistaken. THAT, or you're trying to hurt my feelings.
>>
File: 48f.png (608KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
48f.png
608KB, 800x600px
DFW would've loved Gondola.
>>
>>8735828
Sorry, I was indeed mistaken.
>>>/fa/ >>>/soc/ >>>/lgbt/
>>
>>8735806
Found the essay: http://jsomers.net/DFW_TV.pdf
>>
>>8735806
"Hey youth,... m-maybe, you should care about whats going on in the world, i-instead of just being eternal goofballs?"
>>
>>8735899
"You mean... become SJW's?"
>>
>>8735828
He's not wrong. Culture critics have associated bronies with new sincerity for years now.
>>
>>8735806
http://www.cosmoetica.com/B1349-JH1.htm
"In this case, his point seems to be that the use of cynicism and irony in television has made true sincerity verboten in modern culture, with hip detachment being the preferred mode of being. This was, perhaps, true within Wallace’s own circle of pop-culturally savvy young men in their 20s, but anybody with a sufficiently broad variety of Facebook friends could counter such a claim by sharing literally thousands of examples of saccharine tripe shared with perfect sincerity. And if social media had existed 20 years ago, that would still be the case, for even in the 90s, when Wallace wrote this, one could, as now, walk into any Hallmark store and find thousands of cards filled with the mushiest, limpest “poems” ever written, virtually all of which were given and received in totally genuine, un-self-aware ways. If anything, the far greater societal epidemic is completely unironic sincerity about the wrong kinds of things. But then, part of Wallace’s artistic M.O. was the “deep truth” of clichés, so it would not behoove him to call attention to such things."

" The idea that excessive detailing of minutia is somehow a more true form of writing is no more defensible than writing boringly about boredom. And what is with the insistence that life today is just so much different than it was “back then”? Life today is certainly more fast-paced, and there are differences, of course, but did he really suffer under the delusion that Tolstoy’s experience was so much simpler, that he had a significantly easier time selecting bits of reality to assemble into stories? Tolstoy’s novels would have been just as artificial relative to real world experience back then as they would be were they written today. The brain is wired for narrative, linear or not, which is why the idea of writing to achieve truth, rather than writing to achieve good writing, is so flawed, for artifice simply is and is present, regardless of how detailed or undetailed the words are. Denuding Wallace here is easy, for one need simply ask what feels more “true”: Dmitri’s assault of his father in The Brothers Karamazov (to use another Russian), or a group of wheelchair-bound terrorists putting a potentially murderous professional football player under a big glass dome with a swarm of cockroaches (in a ripoff of 1984)? The answer, of course, is that neither is the least bit true, but because the former is better-depicted and less convoluted, it will likely feel truer for more readers and for longer...the important thing in art is not “the truth”, but the nature and quality of the lying. And by that standard, Wallace has a horrible poker face..."
>>
File: 112121111.png (334KB, 551x550px) Image search: [Google]
112121111.png
334KB, 551x550px
>>8735860
dang, got me again
>>
>>8735917
I don't know if I buy his point about facebook, we're talking about art. Movements like that don't ever just encompass fucking everyone. It's more contextual than that-- you need to see what's created from the bedding that is post modernism.

>The idea that excessive detailing of minutia is somehow a more true form of writing is no more defensible than writing boringly about boredom.

I stopped reading after this. I don't think that's a good description of what DFW was talking about. The biggest thing I could point to would be the office, it's a show that takes this mundane environment but brings it to life with moments of genuine sincerity brought on by just being vulnerable and kind of dorky-- michael being the example of that, especially with cringe.
>>
>>8735899
Pynchon here, screw off before I give you the swirlie of a lifetime
>>
>>8736008
The link has quoted examples from all over DFW's oeuvre with criticisms and analyses.
>>
>>8735806
i think everyone is confusing with this fucking thing.
you just have to read dfw to know he is not and not want to be the "new sincerity" project.
is just an idea about the future writers, a predictive idea. not something he necessary believe.
i think we should talk about the real new sincerity, (if that exists). not that part of an essay of the fucking dfw.
we should talk about alt lit (yes, even if you have prejudices) and roggenbuck and shit.
>>
>>8736021
is alt lit typically seen in the same vein as sjwism?
>>
>>8735806
DFW was only in favour of New Sincerity ironically

Get on our power level holmes
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.