[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions on this book /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1165.jpg (34KB, 236x382px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1165.jpg
34KB, 236x382px
Opinions on this book /lit/?
>>
File: plebbit ethos.png (12KB, 1449x114px) Image search: [Google]
plebbit ethos.png
12KB, 1449x114px
>>8735612
>>
>>8735612
I wasn't super into it but overall I enjoyed it
>>
a bit weak in terms of prose but still great
>>
File: 1476604414864.gif (442KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1476604414864.gif
442KB, 480x360px
>>8735612
He essentially writes the same book over and over, wry, darkly humorous resignation in the face of catastrophe. Of the some dozen iterations of his singular theme this is probably the best one, or Cat's Cradle if you are more into science fiction and less into historical fiction.

Either way, if you haven't felt yourself outgrowing him by the time you are 22-24 you should reexamine your life.
>>
>>8735696
>if you haven't felt yourself outgrowing him by the time you are 22-24 you should reexamine your life
This.
>>
>>8735612
Vonnegut is good, and him having some obnoxious hipster fans doesn't mean he shouldn't rest on his own merits and that doesn't mean /lit/ should judge him based on some of his fans, but it doesn't stop them from doing so.

It's like: instead of substantively and thoughtfully explaining this and this and this is what I didn't like about Mother Night, I'll just post this compilation image of lame hipsters' Vonnegut tattoos and mercilessly hate on him because of that.

/lit/ really is truly garbage.
>>
>>8735761
Who even reads enough Vonnegut to get to the dregs like Mother Night before getting completely bored by his style and dropping him.

I read three of his books when I was 17-18 and will probably never read another.
>>
>>8735612
I like Vonnegut, but I find his cheap cynicism tiring
>>
ez 4 ENCE
>>
>>8735612
The firebombing of Dresden in reverse was good. The rest of the novel was mediocre.
>>
>>8735996
>>8735696
People who think that Vonnegut is either cheaply cynical or immature have to go and re-examine their life.

Slaughterhouse-Five, after all, contains the widest view of a single life condensed into some of the simplest prose out there. I don't understand how people could think Vonnegut was being merely fatalistic and apocalyptic when, even amidst the irony, he's constantly depicting Billy Pilgrim's mature acceptance of fate. And unlike other books that are merely ironic without any proper grasp of their theme, he does it from solid character axioms.
>>
>>8736052
>mature acceptance of fate
How did you manage to misread this hard?
He's not "mature", he was shellshocked so hard he couldn't conceive of time anymore. The only way he can deal with the inhumanity he witnessed ("it was like the surface of the moon") is to project it onto literal aliens for whom the very concepts of agency and morality are nonsense.
>>
Vonnegut is like the shitty cuck brother to Joseph Heller
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.