[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japanese lit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: wnYTz7L.jpg (119KB, 602x655px) Image search: [Google]
wnYTz7L.jpg
119KB, 602x655px
I want to into Japanese literature. What are some must reads/good starting points?
>>
my anime desu
>>
This.
>>
File: haruji_manganovel.jpg (214KB, 639x500px) Image search: [Google]
haruji_manganovel.jpg
214KB, 639x500px
>>
>>8732846
Start with the classic shit like Akutagawa
>>
The only Japanese shit I've read was Norwegian Wood. Damn, there was some steamy sex scenes in it.
>>
File: japanese2.jpg (2MB, 2202x4400px) Image search: [Google]
japanese2.jpg
2MB, 2202x4400px
>>8732846
>>
>>8732846
spice & wolf and bakemonogatari
>>
>>8733252
Massive faggot here who lives in Japan and knows Japanese.

"Sailor" is a minor Mishima work much more widely read in the West and I'm not really sure it's appeal in the west as opposed to here in Japan.

Spring Snow can be read stand alone with the rest of the tetralogy just kind of ignored I guess--but why would you. And Runaway Horses is the best of the tetralogy by a country mile.
>>
>>8733252
Also,

>only two works from the Edo period

REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8733252
what a shit list.
>>
>>8733390
The post-war list is spot on, with the exception of maybe Banana Yoshimoto, who is a Japanese, female John Green.
>>
>>8733337
What else should be there?
>>
>>8732850
His other books are also great
The Setting Sun and The Schoolgirl
Also op I've heard good things about Yukio Mishima and Kobo Abe but I haven't read them yet
>>
>>8733327
>Runaway Horses
>Better than Spring Snow
Urge to commit REEEEE rising.

>>8733822
What else should be there?
Well there is Basho, one of the biggest and most famous Japanese writers ever.

>>8733900
I think Mishima is greatly overrated on lit. I've read most of his stuff (which is saying something, he was prolific) and most of it left me cold. If I did enough mental gymnastics I could ignore his shit-tier philosophy (which saturates everything he writes) and treat some of his works in a Kawabataesque aesthetic way. Spring Snow is easily my favorite because it is the easiest work of his to do it to. That being said just read Kawabata instead, or Inoue, or Tanizaki. All are better contemporaries of his.
>>
中上健次が入ってない。やり直し。
>>
What are some good books from the modern period?
>>
>That being said just read Kawabata instead, or Inoue, or Tanizaki. All are better contemporaries of his.
Can you recommend me any books by any of those 3?
>>
>>8734101
Meant to reply to >>8733952 here
>>
>>8733975
I haven't read a lot of Japanese literature, but I like Mishima a lot. I'd go so far to say I have a crush on him.
I read The Temple of the Golden Pavilion first, then Forbidden Colours, followed by Confessions of a Mask and The Sound of Waves. I liked them all, and how many authors can you say that for.

That said, it would do you good to read a biography and/or watch the 1985 biopic. It's a lot of help.

I've also read four books by Murakami. Norwegian Wood was comfy, even though /lit/ hates it. Hard Boiled Wonderland was actually good. 1Q84 and Kafka on the Shore were so-so at best.

I've heard good stuff about Dazai, planning to check him out sometime.
>>
File: 866_large[1].jpg (82KB, 359x515px) Image search: [Google]
866_large[1].jpg
82KB, 359x515px
I recommend this, interesting premise and various aspects of modern japanese culture are represented.
>>
>>8734175
I'm reading Dazai right now
Started with the setting sun, I'm on the schoolgirl now, will probably go to no longer human next
>>
>>8734894
What do you think of him?
>>
>>8735349
I really enjoyed the setting sun
I think my only complaint would be that what was supposed to be (I feel) a big emotional moment, naoji killing himself just didn't come across as very impactful
It might just be my fault though because I took like a 4 day break while reading it due to other shit coming up
Might give it another run all at once though since it's only 100~ pages
>>
Related question: How difficult is it to read a tale of Genji versus how worth reading is it?
>>
>>8734101
Pretty much anything by Kawabata. Everything he does is great. Snow Country is what I consider to be his best, though many people think the same of master of Go. I would add that Master of Go is not typical of Kawabata.
Tanizaki is a little less consistent but a great place to start is Seven Japanese Tales. It is a series of seven stories that range from story story to novella taken from different periods of his life and give a decent breadth of style. Inoue's stories seem to fill a couple of different genres. He has his historical fiction, his contemporary love stories and his stories that address the postwar world of Japanese society. If you read Counterfeiter and Other Stories it will give you a short story or novella in each genre.
>>
>>8735608
Edit: It is a series of seven stories that range from SHORT story to novella
>>
>>8735608
Great thank you! I'll check out snow country after I finish the schoolgirl
>>
Is Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto a good read?
>>
>>8732846
わたし の ダイアリ、です
>>
>>8732846
da phuc is a vietnamese name
japanese names don't even sound like that at all

that's like putting a picture of a tunisian guy with a funny name next to a thread about english literature.
yes, both countries were once part of the same cultural sphere (roman empire/sinosphere) but their cultures, languages and histories are vastly different
>>
Anyone can tell me a novel/war memoir (written by a jap) about 2nd sino-japanese war or ww2
>>
>>8736750
Shut up
>>
>>8733252

You're missing Snow Country and Silence.
>>
>>8736750
da phuc is dis nigga smokin
>>
>>8738305
snow country is on there baka
>>
>>8738429

I kept looking for it in modern since Goodreads has the original publication date in the 30s, but I see it now.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.