[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not enjoying this.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 41xQQeTc-QL.jpg (28KB, 325x500px) Image search: [Google]
41xQQeTc-QL.jpg
28KB, 325x500px
I make it a point to finish books that I start, but I'm 150 pages into this thing and my god it sucks my cock. I'm seriously considering dropping it.

I hate the 50's. I hate milkshakes, and 'bop', and 'digging' and 'jalopies' and 'necking'. Makes me puke a little in my mouth. I fucking hate this god damn book, and I hate Jack Kerouac.

Seriously, why the fuck is this thing recommended so much? The prose is shit. The plot is boring. Does it get better during the second half, or am I missing something here?

Are there any better books out there about wanderers/travellers that are more insightful than the one written by this braindead boomer baby? Should I finish the fucking thing?
>>
>>8732499
If you didn't get the original scroll you fucked up
>>
>>8732499
I dropped it at about that point. It was such a chore, it took me a week to get that far in because I was avoiding it. I regret nothing.
>>
>>8732499
JUst read the road
>>
>>8732499
>I hate the 50's. I hate milkshakes, and 'bop', and 'digging' and 'jalopies' and 'necking'. Makes me puke a little in my mouth. I fucking hate this god damn book, and I hate Jack Kerouac.

this is what happens to "voices of their generation", they become irrelevant because after your self indulgent generation croaks nobody else really give a shit about what slang you used, it has no lasting value, every time i see some moron posting anything about "voices of generations" i just think oh look another pleb with no taste
>>
>>8732514
I already have, and as depressing as it was, it was a better book than this one, and On The Road is recommended all the time
>>
The final section is really well-written. In general I found the relationship between Jack and Neil to be its most worthwhile aspect.
>>
>>8732527
it's like dfw and his shit about teevee, dude hasn't even been in the ground a decade and already tvs are obsolete, no one gives a shit
>>
>>8732547
Should I tough it out then? Tbh unfeeling pretty guilty about setting this down
>>
How is dharma bums?
>>
>>8732579
Sure. It's hardly a tome. What's another day or two spent on it?
>>
I tried to read it for the first time on a cross Atlantic Flight. Read about 20 pages and decided I'd rather just sit and stare at the back of the seat in front of me. I've read it since then though.
>>
I think it's mostly just valued for its historical perspective on the culture of the "beat generation" and the society that saw the rise of the counterculture in the sixties.
>>
I liked the first time he hitchhiked his way to the west coast. The rest was really repetitive and the trips no longer mattered.
>>
>>8732591
I found it even more self-indulgent than OTR. Maybe its because I read in when I was older, but it was just Kerouac getting pissed with his mates, climbing mountains and waffling about Buddhism.

I enjoyed OTR but haven't reread it.
>>
I liked it. The first time I read it was when I was a sophomore in high school. Twas a fun experience. It was one of the first books that made me think "Wow, I like to read. I may even try to write." Those sentiments are with me to this day.
>>
boring-ass insincere literature
>>
>>8732499
I might have gotten about fifty pages in before I gave up. It wasn't my style either.
>>
>>8732499
Fuck I got giving this as a gift recently. I have to finish every book I own and this is next. Hopefully I am someone who enjoys it.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.