[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About to read this. What to expect?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Ulysses.jpg (281KB, 965x947px) Image search: [Google]
Ulysses.jpg
281KB, 965x947px
About to read this.

What to expect?
>>
Expect to laugh, and smile, and cry that you will never write something as fantastic.
>>
>>8732280

It's single handily the reason why post-modernism was created and why FW was the only thing left for Joyce to write.

You'll see once you read the book. It's everything a novel should be, everything a novel should have in it, from the beginning of written language to the death of mankind.

Why did so many authors in post-modernism get whacky, start doing even weirder shit? Because they were looking for something, anything, that Ulysses didn't have that would catch on and ultimately they failed. Everyone has failed. Every book after this one is missing a piece - a piece that this book founded.

It's simply everything. Nothing will ever top it. The human spirit, the words, the language, the stories simply do not exist, cannot exist. Ulysses is and end all book. It is, and was, and forever will be the perfect novel.

Anyone who reads it realizes nothing more can be done to improve literature. Therefore, as the Post-Modernists did, and as culture is doing today, the only thing left for art is to destroy art. To dismantle every piece of structure the human-race has been founded on until the only thing that is left is a cesspool of shit that one cannot see their reflection in, and that, that there, is truly hell.

Good luck. Because after this book you'll literally see the repetitive nature in literature. You will see every chance (and failure) at recapturing even the slimmest, most faint piece of Ulysses.
>>
File: 1450617306408.gif (2MB, 304x226px) Image search: [Google]
1450617306408.gif
2MB, 304x226px
>>8732316
Is this a pasta?
>>
>>8732280

Literature of the highest order, far above your comprehension level, stick to Murakami
>>
>>8732316
>Why did so many authors in post-modernism get whacky, start doing even weirder shit? Because they were looking for something, anything, that Ulysses didn't have that would catch on and ultimately they failed. Everyone has failed. Every book after this one is missing a piece - a piece that this book founded.

This
>>
>>8732316
I would definitely agree to this. There's a reason Joyce claimed that with Ulysses he "finished the novel." The novel as a literary form is dead, and Ulysses killed it.
>>
>>8732316
Ehh, I thought it was an okay book 6/10
>>
>>8734644
I have an idea to produce something Ulysses didn't, but it would end up a short story, not a novel.

Essentially, taking symbolism to its logical limit and not giving any background or thoughts or intonations at all to multiple characters, simply naming them "Apollo" or "Virgil" and letting the reader, through his knowledge, build the entirety of their personalities and adapted backgrounds in his head.
>>
>>8734644
I think you misunderstand what Joyce says. He is not saying he finished the novel. He is claiming he began a new form of novel.

I am always skeptical when people claim someone has created a work of art that "finishes" an artform.

Can someone write a poem that finishes all poetry? No, same as the novel. No one can "finish" something.

You can open a new chapter, and close an old one, but never just end something like that.

Rimbaud tried to end poetry, the Sex Pistols tried to end rock and roll. Did they? No, they just opened it up to further interpretation.
>>
I expect you to start fucking reading it and not posting on an image board for validation
>>
>>8734676
But what Joyce did with Ulysses goes beyond that
Don Quixote fits with what you are saying, but not Ulysses, >>8732316 is right
>>
>>8734668
That sounds like a light version of Finnegans Wake
>>
>>8734663
Lol
>>
>>8734676
The problem is that his execution of that "new form of novel" is 11/10.
>>
>>8735520
No
>>
>>8735933
Yes
>>
>>8735943
You didnt refute anything I said whatsoever. Please explain to me how Ulysses ended the novel
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.