[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Complete works of plato

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: platocomplete.jpg (31KB, 500x699px) Image search: [Google]
platocomplete.jpg
31KB, 500x699px
Alright, i made a thread on /his/ but I want to check it out with you guys here. I got Plato's complete works(the big book in pic related) from the library two days ago, and so far I have read the Apology, Phaedo, Crito, and Euthyphro. If I read the Symposium, The Republic, and maybe the Parminedes, would that be enough plato for me to jump into other philosophers, or should I grind through the entire book?
>>
>>8730950
>Grind
Turn back now, child.
>>
Read Phaedrus, Satesman and Meno between Symposium and Republic.

I will warn you that Parmenides is one of the most difficult dialogues.
>>
>>8730991
Thanks man.

Also, can anyone rec me some of the essential aristotle's works to read after I finish up with Plato? I must warn you my school's library is absolute shit so I will probably not be able to get any less known titles. Also, I don't plan on spending too much time on Aristotle, I just want to get a solid understanding of him before I jump out to latin and more recent philosophers
>>
>>8730950
>grind through the entire book?
The fuck? Does this imply you actually don't enjoy reading it? Kek fucking brainlets.
>reading things you don't enjoy
>>
>>8731008
stop with the fucking memes and cherrypicking my wordchoice, can you just give me some advice?
>>
>>8731005
I should have mentioned that if you were interested in (Neo-)Platonism as a religion or Gnosticism and/or the history of medicine you should read the Timaeus after Republic.

Most people read Aristotle's Nicomaechan Ethics and Metaphysics. I would read the Organon in between.

If you care about political philosophy, then read Politics after the Ethics.
>>
>>8731032
alright, thanks.
>>
>>8731005
>I don't plan on spending too much time on Aristotle
>I just want to get a solid understanding of him

Pick one

Fucking pseuds shitting up my board

Actually read these fucking books; they're some of the most valuable texts available to you in any capacity.
>>
>>8730950

lol i think i know the op of this irl
>>
>>8732798
oh yeah prove it big guy
>>
>>8732821

maybe i will, FOR YOU
>>
Related, should I get his complete works if I don't intend to read absolutely everything? Is there any other collection with perhaps only the essentials? I've enjoyed reading him before and I might go back to him later on, but there's also other philosophers I'm eager to read.
>>
>>8731017
There's a deserved wariness of retarded pleuds who force themselves to read out of some hazy sense of duty.

Anyway, read this:
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
>>
>>8732882
Almost 100% yes it is worth it. The only other two big collections of his works I know of are Edith Hamilton's (also complete, about the same price, but Cooper's is the standard single volume complete works) and another whose title I don't exactly remember which had most of the works, but were abridged--my buddy bought it and realized Timaeus was missing chunks as he was reading it.

Get the Cooper and just don't read them all if you don't want to. It's nice to have it at least as a reference, and it'll be a real pain to collect the assorted essential dialogues from other sources (Hackett, Oxford, etc.).

I think there's no Plato equivalent of Modern Library's "Essential Works of Aristotle" because so much of Aristotle is shit like "The history of animals" which almost nobody wants to read, whereas almost every genuine Platonic dialogue has some value and is in some ways interesting.
>>
>>8734042
Thank you for your reply, I will make sure to get the complete works for Plato and essentials for Aristotle.
>>
>>8730991
What about The Laws? Isn't that his most important late work?

>I'm also reading this same book like OP. I've read Republic, Euthyphro, Apology, and Crito - working on Phaedo now.

Also, how is Menuxenus? I heard it was written for one of Socrates' sons, so I'm curious.
>>
>>8735072
Laws is not good bang for your buck as far as page count vs what you get out of it. It's significant, especially since it's his last work, but it's extremely long and often tedious. Would only recommend reading it if you've already read pretty much every other major dialogue.

But at least read a synopsis of Laws, and consider reading book 10 alone if you're interested in some Timaeus-type cosmology.
>>
Also try something like the Cambridge companion to Plato. Just reading a dialogue once and moving on isn't going to help.
>>
>>8735384
>>8735409
Okay, thanks.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.