[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>What the fuck is this piece of shit? I just finshed reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Ep158-Barb-Oakley[1].jpg (63KB, 780x520px) Image search: [Google]
Ep158-Barb-Oakley[1].jpg
63KB, 780x520px
>What the fuck is this piece of shit?

I just finshed reading this and I'm horrified.

My critic is not about mainly about the subject itself, some learning ideas were quite alright.
It's rather about the ideology of the author and what is represted with this book.
If this is how the new age of academic STEM works then it's going to produce only brainless and characterless human beings. Only god can help us.

Just a few more points:
>the author calls herself a genius in the beginning (at least in my German translation). kek.
>needs over 300 pages to explain only a hand full learning tips
>every second chapter is a rerun of already mentioned stuff with little to no new input
>it's not even written as a coherent text, it's a accumulation of bullet items
>'Close your book now and look around to ...' NOPE
>'If you aren't motivated enough, write your future salary on a piece of paper and hang it on your wall so that can see it while studying'.

>PUREST IDEOLOGY

Is anyone here who wasted his time by reading this or similar 'learn how to learn' books?
Tell us your story.
>>
>>8730839
bump i guess
>>
There's too much to read to even consider reading something like this.
>>
>>8731012
fair enough
>>
>>8730839
STEMfags are retarded as fuck. Everybody and their mother is getting an engineering degree because they think that it will make them rich. What's gonna happen is STEM will be flooded with autistic drones who only work and play vidya, who barely know anything beyond the mundane modern existence and have already gone through death1. Robots, machines, out of touch with their own humanity in the face of increasing demands and stress of work, not to mention societal challenges. Most people in STEM right now do not have the mind for it. They're doomed for a living hell of becoming a 21st century blue collar worker.
>>
>>8730839

lmao I just added this to my 'to read' list yesterday.

I was told it wasn't just for stem subjects, that it was the recommended book for learning 'how to learn' in general. Do you think that is correct OP? Probably still going to read it and make up my own mind.
>>
>>8731048
some people don't care about those larger context. they make honest money, have a nice family and just live their lifes.

you - on the other hand - sound bitter
>>
File: Harold_Bloom_7536.jpg (330KB, 1600x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Harold_Bloom_7536.jpg
330KB, 1600x1050px
>>8730839
>>'If you aren't motivated enough, write your future salary on a piece of paper and hang it on your wall so that can see it while studying'.
That made me physically sick to read.
>>
>>8731067
It's still a decent book of course.
If you already know about Anki and other basic learning techniques, you won't get much out it, though.

Oh, and if you are going to buy it, I would reommend buying it as a physical book.
There were many times I threw it in disgust through my room, a electronic device would not have survived this. Good luck!
>>
>>8730839
The only book similar to this I've read was on how to deal with it procrastination habits. I find you don't really need that many techniques as long as you do the fucking work.
>>
File: 1472425665839.jpg (83KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1472425665839.jpg
83KB, 600x600px
>>8731048

For some people "just living their lifes" means caring about the larger context. It's also entirely possible to make "honest money" outside of STEM. To be honest, depending on where you live, some STEM degrees are utterly worthless. My cousin drives a garbage truck because the economy tanked and nobody wants chemical engineers anymore. They're just not hiring new engineers, period. If he goes long enough without work, they won't even want him when the economy recovers.

Most people with a B.Sc. can make more money in construction than in their actual field.
>>
>>8731136
>If you already know about Anki and other basic learning techniques, you won't get much out it, though.
I don't. What should I know?
>>
Read this when I was trying to get into computer science. Needless to say, I'm now an English/Philosophy major.
>>
>>8730839

>is a Professor of Engineering at Oakland University

this woman does not represent the stemfags, your superiors
>>
A mathematical mind is vastly superior to some literature-esque faggotry. You know it, OP. You only got your degree in English literature because you were too retarded to do anything else with your life.
>>
>>8731346
Why would he read a book on STEM study technique if he was an English major?
>>
>>8730839
>Never read any book where the author's credentials are displayed on the front page (Dr X, X PhD etc.)
>Never read a book with a cartoon tree on the cover. It will either be for chicks, new age or both.

2 strikes, sorry.
>>
>>8730839
What does this have to do with literature? What sort of retard would pick up this book?
>>
>>8731346
You're confusing autism with intelligence.
>>
>>8731906
The author doesn't have control over the book cover, the publisher does
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.