[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

spirit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Alright /lit/ I wanna read this bad boy. What're the essential prerequisites?
>>
>>8727315
A nine year old could read it. You're good jump right in.
>>
>>8727315
Start with the Greeks
>>
>>8727315
depends how much you want to get out of it. Realistically you need to understand Kant and the Greeks very well, like reading the republic and the metaphysics aren't gonna cut it. In addition Spinoza and Leibniz would help. If you want to read this for vanity's sake just watch Sadler's videos without anything else.
>>
>>8727315
literally everything before him
>>
I am by no means an authority on Hegel or any of his works, but I would say that there are no real prerequisites for the work as he is just thinking about consciousness and how it comes about.
All you need is a good translation (or good German), patience, and a whole of time and effort.

That being said, some things that would ease you understanding would be reading Sophocles' Antigone, as a section gives a detailed critique of the play without mentioning it. He also talks about Stoicism as a slave morality, so being familiar with some of the basic Stoic tenets would be good too.

Reading alongside a Cambridge Companion would also be an aid.

Personally, I like the Very Short Introduction series, so maybe pick up Peter Singer's write-up in Hegel. It's a very short and easy read.
>>
A lot of patience and a lot of commentaries and then commentaries on commentaries

There's probably some Cambridge Companion to Hegel or specifically to the PhS if you google around

Reading Kant and reading about the post-Kantian idealists is a good idea
>>
>>8727328
>>8727327
>>8727324
Many thanks

>>8727319
>>8727320
>>8727326
:^^)
>>
Get this.
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=E06BB368E54918F2125DB5BC72C84AAD
>>
>>8727409
It's longer than the book itself, so you'll have to be patient, but if you're not a casual that just want to read Hegel to acquire some kind of hipster cred, this is the most extensive commentary you'll find.
>>
>>8727327
>Personally, I like the Very Short Introduction series, so maybe pick up Peter Singer's write-up in Hegel. It's a very short and easy read.

I read the VSI on Hegel too, and I thought it was great. Singer does describe the dialectical method as being thesis-antithesis-synthesis, which from my understanding isn't quite correct for the Hegelian dialectic, but other than that it's a great intro to Hegel's thought.
>>
>>8727496

I have that book, it's mostly garbage.

He begins with an oversimplification of Hegel's philosophy with regard to Geist, which he reveals about halfway through. From that point on, when he's had his little joke, it's pretty shit.

And yes, thesis-antithesis-synthesis is Schiller. Everyone makes this goddamn mistake.

Hegel was abstract-negative-concrete.
>>
>>8727320
Summer is over. You can retire the maymays
>>
>>8727899
He's right. The first chapter on Perception, Force and so on, is all Plato.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.