[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cyberpunk books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 4444.jpg (2MB, 1280x1706px) Image search: [Google]
4444.jpg
2MB, 1280x1706px
Sup, i recently got into cyberpunk in literature and this shits great
Recommend me some nice cyberpunk books
>high tech, low life
>no post-apo
>no space travels
Also sorry if there is a thread for recommending, i couldn't find any
>>
Snow Crash I guess, tho the second half is shit
>>
I miss cyberpunk, sad there's no more modern version of it

The two classics are Neuromancer and Snow Crash. Neuromancer is unreadable for some (Gibson loves weird similes), Snow Crash is either a satire or straightforward kitsch, I can't decide.

for more modern books, I've seen people praise Windup Girl but too many biotech cliches for me. There's an older collection called Hackers, get that one, it's fun.

Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep? would count, that one's great. Altered Carbon is a nice mix of cyberpunk and noir detective.
>>
>>8726141
So there is basicaly no modern cyberpunk?
>>
Cyberpunk in novels is trash. I would never again want to read Neuromancer or Snow Crash or anything else by either of the authors and they are allegedly supposed to be the best it has to offer. Their inability to write a human being coupled with their either nonsensical or incredibly dry prose is enough to kill any aesthetic they offer.
Just rewatch Ghost in the Shell.
>>
>>8726145

That's a nice opinion you've got there, but OP should definitely check out Neuromancer on amazon and read a few pages.

It's a good book despite what retards on /lit/ say when they want to feel like critical thinking intellectuals again :^)
>>
>>8726145
I honestly don't understand the Neuromancer hype either. Hated the book when I read it.
>>
>>8726143
Not really! Most tropes in Cyberpunk are already incredibly dated. There's some Biopunk which plays more with low life + biotech (see Windup Girl) but that one doesn't seem to go anywhere, either.

You should also check out Vurt, an interesting book that mixes Cyberpunk with British raver culture of the 80s
>>
>>8726152
Honestly i live in eu so getting some of those books might be expensive to me because shipping, so I'm looking for the good ones. I'll give neuromancer a shot tho.
>>8726160
I'll check it out
>>
>>8726159
They are looking for the aesthetic, find it in the first chapter of the book, and then just stick with the rest because everyone else praises the book so much.

Burning Chrome would be a better recommendation to those new to the genre. And then never to touch Neuromancer or anything by Neal Stephenson for as long as you want to enjoy yourself.
>>
>>8726152
> i live in eu so getting some of those books might be expensive to me because shipping

If you don't mind me asking, but in which EU country do you live that you have to pay extra for shipping a book on amazon?
Where I live, books in English (or French, Spanish etc) are free for shipping as long as you purchase them FROM amazon, not THROUGH them.
>>
>>8726145
>when your cyberpunk is almost too human with very little cyberpunk

god damn it
>>
>>8726188
I checked Neurodancer and it was released here, so it's something
I live in Poland, and the few times i wanted to order something on amazon shipping was often reaching 30$. Maybe it's a normal price in murrica, but here it's alot.
>>
Veniss Underground is fantastic, though it gets a little too ambitious on occasion
>>
Mirrorshades: a cyberpunk anthology is one of my favourite things in the genre, a great collection of stories. It can be difficult to get but it's well worth it.
>>
Any vapourwave books?
>>
>>8726364
I honestly don't think this counts as a gentre, at least literaturewise
>>
>>8726127
From what I've read
>Neuromancer
The classic of Cyberpunk...you could also read its two sequels
>Do androids dream of electric sheeps
Proto Cyberpunk, really good book but kinda confusing sometimes
>Virtual Light
Nice book, also has two sequels
>Mirroshade collection
A number of short stories(not all cyberpunk) made by the mirrosrshade group(Sterling, Gibson,Bear etc)
>Burning Chrome
Really nice stories wrote by Gibson in the 80's.. Two of them are in common with the other collection
>Flashback
Not a cyberpunk novel, but has many elements from this genre
>>
>>8726364
>>8726388
What would vapourwave in lit look like?
>>
Ten Billion Days and One Hundred Billion Nights any good? never heard it mentioned anywhere
>>
the ghost in the shell trailer actually looks good?
>>
>>8727160
The text of Karl Marx' Das Kapital copied in varied fonts with the cover of Atlas Shrugged, but with Shinji's face pasted on Atlas' head.
>>
Nick Land
>>
File: 1477624673759.jpg (713KB, 1062x1507px) Image search: [Google]
1477624673759.jpg
713KB, 1062x1507px
>>8727221
5/5, would place on my bookshelf to impress the pseuds.
>>
>>8727200
No
>>
>>8726127
Jeff Noon maybe. Perhaps to parochial to Britain and to Manchester at that.

I loved Nymphomation though.

All William Gibson books have the same plot.

I've always assumed by the time he got round to writing Pattern Recognition you were supposed to recognise it (pun on the title?), a bit like how Elric and Jerry Cornelius are exactly the same.
>>
>>8727200
some of the visuals are cool, but the trailer itself is shit IMO

there was some footage of the intro, and thats pretty cool
>>
>>8727251
omg. <3
>>
>>8726135
STRONGLY SECOND SNOW CRASH.
However, I loved the second half. (For serious techy stuff read Seveneves. Not Cyberpunk though.) The greatest fight secene ever -it's like 30 pages long with boats, helicopters, crazy villan - all sorts of shit. The hero's name is Hiro. Super rad sex scene.

It's a great book. Please read it.
>>
>>8727410
>All William Gibson books have the same plot.

I don't know about this, but after reading my first Gibson I did find the next felt... stale.
>>
>>8726141
Stephenson has a wicked sense of humor, but I take his shit seriously. Read Anathem or Seveneves. They're super intricate and well developed.

Modern Cyberpunk? Strange, hadn't even noticed it was missing. I hope someone recommends a good one.
>>
File: Altered_Carbon_cover_1_(Amazon).jpg (50KB, 310x500px) Image search: [Google]
Altered_Carbon_cover_1_(Amazon).jpg
50KB, 310x500px
>>
I just ordered neuromancer. I came out in my native language but i prefer reading in english so i got myself an english copy. Thanks for all help, will make sure to check out all the books.
>>
File: kill urself.jpg (159KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
kill urself.jpg
159KB, 1500x1500px
>there are people that unironically want to live in a cyberpunk world
>>
>>8729590
What's wrong with that
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.