[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is a lack of empathy considered a negative trait?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Why is a lack of empathy considered a negative trait?
>>
>>8725007
Makes for shitty cooperation.

People who care about eac hother fight harder for each other and are therefore a more successful group.

This is why the Spartans tended tenderly to each others tucci.
>>
Why are you a simpleton in assuming that negative means "bad" and "shouldn't have"?
>>
>>8725028
Answer the question.
>>
>>8725007
because when you try to measure someones usefulness to you will you pick the guy that is 100% likely to cut you out once your own usefulness has reached its end?
>>
>>8725007
ants B spiders TFO
>>
>>8725041
Someone with a lack of empathy can be very beneficial during stressful situations, though. It's not always about screwing people over.
>>
>>8725037
>educating a simpleton

objectively illogical
>>
>>8725050
ideally your goal is to have minimum stressful situations. Its also good not to need a crutch or have people that are only useful in limited stations, especially if they are high maintenance/high risk. also who is to say that your inability to handle stress as well won't come back to bite you during a performance review or even a simple family gossip
>>
Empathy is important for people to work together and thrive as a group.

Society is a group of people. Society doesn't like people who exploit the unwritten (and sometimes written) rules of working together.

People also don't like cunts. Generally if you're unable to empathise that means you're probably going to act like a cunt, either intentionally or unintentionally, because you can't imagine yourself in someone else's shoes.
>>
>>8725055
I go to Princeton and my name is Henry. I have a 10 inch penis, I am beautiful, and I am 6'2".

You are the simpleton.
>>
>>8725063
>ideally your goal is to have minimum stressful situations

unrealistic, therefore unreasonable.
>>
>>8725068
But who has the sense of humor?
>>
>>8725072
I go to Princeton University, you fucker. Bet your parents can't even afford your tuition! Fucker.
>>
>>8725050

The question is if the pros outweigh the cons.

In the long game, you don't want to have the guy without empathy with you, even if he might be useful in specific situations.
Knowing someone empathizes and would actually personally find it unpleasant to fuck you over is something of an insurance policy against getting fucked over.

Besides, what stressful situations? What's to guarantee the guy without empathy won't fuck you in a stressful situation if it means he isn't personally affected even though you are?
>>
>>8725087
Empathy is for the weak. People with ASPD are the future.
>>
>>8725085

>who has the sense of humor?

Well, it's not over there...
>>
>>8725093

>Empathy is for the weak

And if you get enough 'weak' people who work better together than you do alone, you get a functional fucking society where everyone is better off.

But then you leeches thrive guiltlessly taking advantage of the system anyway. Luckily you usually get your comeuppance eventually.
>>
>>8725104
>and I base this on absolutely nothing
>>
>>8725119

Except, I don't know, the history of human civilization.

Find me one functional society composed entirely of sociopaths, I'll wait.
>>
>>8725021
spartans didn't homosex

>>8725007
because it means your either lazy of mentally handicapped.
>>
>>8725125
You don't even know what sociopath means.
>>
>>8725104
>>8725125

>trying to argue the virtues of empathy with a proud sociopath

Why bother?
>>
>>8725125
Dumbass
>>
>>8725188

FUCKING REKT

HOLY SHIT
B
T
F
O
>>
>>8725191
Dumbass anon on suicide watch
>>
>>8725169
>spartans didn't homosex
[citation needed]
>>
Sociopaths are the most weak and insecure people I've ever met, they get literally spooked if they fail to intimidate you.

It's funny to watch them break down slowly.
>>
>>8725007
What is the nature of a negative trait? I assure you I am quite ignorant of the subject. But you seem to be an expert. Perhaps you can enlighten me?
>>
>>8725861
Sociopaths are a spook.
>>
>>8725861
Then they weren't real sociopaths because by nature sociopaths do not break down just because they failed to intimidate you. Real medical-grade sociopaths and psychopaths don't need to intimidate you because they don't care about you in any way shape or form. Those meme sociopaths that say I'm a le edgy cold steel sociopath and then fold under social pressure are just insecure and weak people trying to front an act of toughness to hide their insecurities.
>>
>>8725007
Look Anon, If you're edgy and can't empathize with other people at least try to use logic and reasoning to create some form of empathy. You need other people, other people have thoughts and feelings and even if you can't feel their feels you have to understand their feels and use this insight to gain their trust and coordinate yourself in such a way that it benefits you and that person in question. Conflict is never a good thing so think before you speak and think rationally so that you don't say something autistic that causes that other person to get really mad at you or hate you because in the long run being that way will cause many more problems than its worth just to stroke your edge boner.
>>
>>8725955
>you need other people
Not OP but no I don't. Other people are not a necessity. They are a commodity. A few moments pleasure from social interaction.
>>
ironic thread
>>
>>8725007
Because you're a sociopath and dead inside.
>>
>>8725223
Keep it up bruh, ur killin me
You just got shredded in front of professors and children alike Shaka
>>
>>8726062
>social interaction
>pleasure

science fiction
>>
>>8726074
>what is a gf
>>
>>8726074
You clearly have no idea what you happen to be speaking about.
>>
>>8726062

>The only aspect of life that other people are involved in are social interaction
>le edgy sociopath xDD
>>
>>8726075
>>8726076
These are convincing arguments but will be withdrawn anyway.
>>
>>8726122
Edgy sociopath? Or prefers solitude so that social interaction has more meaning when experienced?
If you jerk off 5 times in an hour each orgasm (for me anyways) is less intense. But if you wait a few days then jerk off the orgasm is stronger. It's the same for social interactions in my experience.
>>
File: 1477982001304.jpg (320KB, 1280x859px) Image search: [Google]
1477982001304.jpg
320KB, 1280x859px
>ITT Anons that think they are cool, mystical creatures that cannot feel fear, remorse or pain because they are socially retarded and lonely.

Wowee.
>>
>>8726140
I know that I'm socially retarded. I know all to well that I'm lonely. I am not delusional.
>>
>>8726150

Does it pain you, though?
>>
>>8726158
I numbed the pain years ago. All I feel now is curiosity for how life could have been. But that lifestyle would have opened me to more pain. So I am happy with my decision.
>>
>>8725007
Becus Internet and Television and Etc. Are All About Being In The Community And Being Involved In Everything Everywhere Always And Without Rest—And This Has Already Shaped The Psyche Of The Western World; If You'Re Not Empathetic It Means You Are Not Involved And Therefore And Outsider, And As An Outsider A Threat To The Community. Book People Are Especially Fans Of Distancing And Objectivity So They Are The First To Suffer The Consequences Of The Interneed Mindset.
>>
>>8725007
empathy is a made-up word for thinking about how others might feel. having permanent empathy or permanent lack of empathy is cancer of the mind.
a lack of empathy is good in certain circumstances (e.g heart surgery, war) but it's bad in other circumstances (e.g social situations).
basically, fuck you and your need for rhetoric to justify being a fucking piece of shit.
>>
>>8726169
How charitable
>>
>>8725007
>Why is a lack of empathy considered a negative trait?

Because people who lack empathy usually are negative people who do negative shit.

If you think you can just choose to have no empathy you probably are a sociopath to begin with.
>>
>>8726175
elaborate you 2-word copout fuckface
>>
>>8726184
I find your posts be mean, unwise, and smelly. I'm gay and proud of it.
>>
>>8726191
i never said a lack of empathy was a good "trait" so perhaps you should take your medication.
>>
>>8726202
mean:
>basically, fuck you and your need for rhetoric to justify being a fucking piece of shit.

unwise:
>a lack of empathy is good in certain circumstances
>e.g. war

smelly:
>it's bad in other circumstances (e.g social situations).
>empathy is a made-up word
>cancer of the mind.

It's as if you're german. And I had already taken my medication—and I'm proud of my mental illness, makes me unique.
>>
>>8725007
Good job /lit/, making a 53 reply thread arguing with a 14 year old
>>
>>8726211
>mean
how am i mean when i'm saying fuck you to the sociopath who wants to say a constant lack of empathy is a good thing?
>unwise
you're saying having empathy for the guy trying to kill you during wartime is a good thing? not only are you unwise you are a fucking moron.
>smelly
i said having constant empathy for everything OR constant lack of empathy is cancer of the mind. learn to read you dumb sack of shit.

>I'm proud of my mental illness, makes me unique.
and i'm the german? you fucking autist.
>>
>>8726216
This isn't an opinion only 14 year olds have quite the contrary the "psychopath" is revered as a vague ubermensch in recent culture.

While OP might not acknowledge the presented arguments others might, hopefully people who actually think instead of brushing aside different views.
>>
>>8726241
You might have empathy for him and still kill him. You might lament and resent the technical impositions that bring both sides to war. You can still feel diminished by an enemy's death. Is there not charms by which the spirit of Man may be abused? Have you not read Hemingway on such things? I'll never prefer to scorn a man's death as if I were crushing an ant, or perchance laugh from an helicopter above killing the enemies unheeded below.

And yet you treat empathy as a button you turn on and off at will, when utility or convenience so suggests, as if you are a less-than-human being that can choose, as if by clothing, when to wear the one and when to wear the other, as if they were equal in form. That is much the sociopath's mindset.
>>
>>8726282
>You might have empathy for him and still kill him. You might lament and resent the technical impositions that bring both sides to war. You can still feel diminished by an enemy's death. Is there not charms by which the spirit of Man may be abused? Have you not read Hemingway on such things? I'll never prefer to scorn a man's death as if I were crushing an ant, or perchance laugh from an helicopter above killing the enemies unheeded below.
nice autism
>And yet you treat empathy as a button you turn on and off at will, when utility or convenience so suggests
yes it's called having the ability to judge situations accurately and then to act accordingly. try it some time and maybe you won't need your medication you fucking autist.
>>
>>8725007

A lack of empathy is considered a positive trait. Autists / neckbeards get obsessed with large fantasy worlds / details / made up stuff / science / mathematics and get criticised for it. "Patricians" only care about "the human condition" i.e., fictional characters and stories with problems that they have and characters they can easily relate to.

So in this sense, the "patrician" or "normie" can't appreciate the greater level of empathy necessary to care about something other than white people problems or human problems.
>>
>>8725041
Whereas an empathetic person could just cut you out while you were still useful, for some moral reason or another. At least with the sociopath you know what you're getting.
>>
>>8726328
I disagree, They are celebrated for being obsessed with such things anyone who obsesses over something is most often seen as virtuous.

In your last sentence couldn't the same be said in regards that autists and neckbeards can't appreciate something other than the thing they are obsessed about?

What you describe as a normie very much sound like an autist.

>>8726355
You're talking about extremes and assuming that the sociopath does not make false judgments.

The empath could cut you out for a moral reason just as well the sociopath could cut you down from a miscalculation.

This whole thread is debating on paragons ,Everyone seems to assume the sociopath is never wrong and 100% stable and the empath is always swayed by his morals and ethics.
>>
>>8726390
What I said doesn't assume the sociopath is never wrong; just that he has no motive to be wrong, or to do anything unuseful. So long as you can explain and prove the usefulness of something, he won't cut you out. Why wouldn't he listen to you, if it were useful to do so?
>>
>>8726399
I agree with a person who is like that, but i don't think that is a sociopath or anyone for that matter.

I think this whole thing is badly defined.

I'l put it this way: BOTH are wrong the sociopath isn't always logical and steadfast nor is the empath always unruly and emotionally driven

To be without empathy is not to be superior than being ruled by it, by reason that in our absurd world no-one can ever be 100% of the time in the right and surely know it.So comes empathy and sympathy which are the net where our faults are laid bare to others so they too can sympathize that where we fell they too someday might so let us retain that in our minds surely someday they will fall and that empathy might just be a reason but not THE reason to not to take away from their value as we would have it be done to us.
>>
>>8725007
Because empathy is an understanding of others feelings. There is no downside to having this ability since you are still free to manipulate or disregard their feelings. Not having empathy is objectively worse than having empathy.
>>
>>8725007
This is the most 4chan post I've ever read.
>>
>>8726066
>no empathy
>dead inside
I feel more alive then most of you. I just don't care that much about other people.
>>
>>8726605
But having empathy means its much harder to disregard their feelings retard.
>>
cause you wont be able to be influenced and manipulated.
>>
>>8726813
This is only a problem if you are an empath.
>>
File: danse.gif (182KB, 226x224px) Image search: [Google]
danse.gif
182KB, 226x224px
this is pretty edgy, even for /lit/
>>
I don't know, if you don't want to get a girlfriend or friend you don't really need to care as long as you don't stand out too much.
Also don't kill people, it's a bother to clean and people will get upset even if the person was a dick.
>>
>>8725064
and yet we tend to gravitate towards people without empathy to lead us.
>>
>>8726779
No, that's sympathy. You can be aware of and understand something without caring.
>>
File: 1475702619970.gif (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1475702619970.gif
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>8727258
>tfw Idon't want a gf
>tfw I don't have any ambition beyond keeping the fridge stocked and the internet flowing because of this
>>
>>8726390
I think you don't understand what sociopathy actually is. A sociopathic person is FACTUALLY more predictable than your average person, it's what defines sociopathy.
Fundamentally, you can trust a sociopath to be more consistent/"Stable" than you can expect a normal person to be.
>>
>>8727533
are they game theory tier rational self-interestos?
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.