[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes reading about poverty so comfy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

What makes reading about poverty so comfy?
>>
>>8724514
The idea of poor people suffering is hilarious when you think about it
>>
>>8724514
We still live in a judeo-christian world that fetishizes the poor ("blessed are the poor...") and weak.
>>
>>8724519
Kek
>>
I like being poor. It means I'll never be married or even manage to maintain a gf because of it but it's ok.
>>
>>8724514

because you fantasize and relate to the freedom of poverty or maybe the hardship. you tell me, faggot, who the fuck starts a thread with a question anyways
>>
>>8724514
Same reason people like scary movies and rollercoasters: A bit of thrill without any risk.
>>
>>8724514
I don't know. In fact, I find reading about poverty fairly distressing. Maybe you're an edgy faggot who can't empathize with other people?
>>
Poor people have less material wealth to keep them apart from G O D.
>>
>>8724673
Faggot, sure. Edgy, no. I've got great empathy, nobody's more empathic than me.

The comfy feeling doesn't come at the characters' expense. Not like this dumbass >>8724519. Obviously a life of poverty isn't enviable when you take everything into account, but that doesn't mean there are no appealing aspects. The close family bonds and interdependence, the stoicism, the gallows humour, the simplicity of life when having food on the table each day isn't a given. It's comfy, admit it.
>>
>>8724786
>The close family bonds and interdependence, the stoicism, the gallows humour, the simplicity of life when having food on the table each day isn't a given. It's comfy, admit it.
You sure do sound like you get all your ideas about poverty from bullshit novels.
>>
>>8724791
Naw, anon, I made a thread on /lit/ with a picture of John Steinbeck so everyone would know I was talking about non-fiction.
>>
>>8724804
You need some CĂ©line.
>>
>>8724786
>The close family bonds and interdependence
Having read about The Great Depression recently, this is bullshit. Precisely because of the interdependence, thousands of teenagers felt like weights on their families and abandoned them.
>the stoicism
Stoicism is about knowing exactly what you need, poor and hungry people would gladly devour a shitton of food if they could. They are forced to cut corners, they don't do that willingly, and they hate the situation.
>the simplicity of life when having food on the table each day isn't a given
Finding as many ways as possible and working your ass off to bring food on the table, possibly for your hungry children if you have a family, is far from a "simple" or "comfy" life.

Tell me sincerely - how many true, raw social realist novels have you read?
>>
>>8724786
>, the simplicity of life when having food on the table each day isn't a given
You can emulate this by acquiring a heroin habit.
>>
>>8724514
because typically it feels genuine, and human strife is ultimately relatable as a web that ties we egotistical spiders together.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.