[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start writing in English.I feel like my vocabulary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1459819085988.png (212KB, 480x402px) Image search: [Google]
1459819085988.png
212KB, 480x402px
I want to start writing in English.I feel like my vocabulary is shit at the moment. I am Romanian, thus my first language is not English. What I am looking for is to firstly get a vaster vocabulary, and secondly to get a sense of what English literature is about. I haven't read much in highschool because I was a piece of shit and I've always wanted to write but there is this constant self doubt and the question "why?".
How do I start ?
>>
File: 942837947234.jpg (137KB, 599x799px) Image search: [Google]
942837947234.jpg
137KB, 599x799px
Write in Romanian.
>>
I agree, write in Romanian. That way we can meme you to greatness here as a patrician, obscure foreign writer..
I guess good primers in English lit would probably be Dickens, Henry James, Hemingway. That should hold you over for a while.

Also, don't want to detail your thread, but any Romanian lit recommendations?
>>
>>8724396
>>8724406
I feel like I can express myself better in English + because I am too autistic, I sometimes cringe myself when I write some romanian words.
>>
File: 1365475090228.jpg (418KB, 747x1417px) Image search: [Google]
1365475090228.jpg
418KB, 747x1417px
>>
>>8724333
How old are you?
What do you do/study?

You "cringe yourself" when you're writing in your mother tongue because the subject is painful and that is a good sign and it is a sign of what you're doing being worthy of your time and ours.
>>
>>8724634
20 and I study Photography and Video in the UK
>>
>>8724599
mui appreciante !
>>8724634
I don't know.....
>>
>>8724406
"Ion" - Liviu Rebreanu
"Enigma Otiliei" - George Calinescu
"Padurea Spanzuratilor" - Liviu Rebreanu
And some theatre cause I fucking love it
"O scrisoare Pierduta" - I.L. Caragiale
I am not sure if you will find them in English but damn man I fucking recommend them. I was that lazy fucktard who never learned anything yet promoted highschool with a higher grade and those are the books I fucking loved. 10/10 hope you are still there and will see this. PLEASE SEE THIS AND READ THEM MAN ITS FUCKING WORTH IT.
>>
>>8725398
Shit list. Don't listen to this undegrad. This is the equivalent of reading only Huckleberry Finn and Catcher in the Rye all throughout high school, only the works listed are much worse than those two.

Pasting one of my older posts below.

>What is some good lit in Romanian?
To my shame, I haven't read much of it. Here's a few things I liked:

>Urmuz. I swear by this guy. I've shilled him before on this board. In short, his is a silly absurdism/surrealism/dadaism à la Kharms (whom I also love). He should be fairly easy to read and quick, too: his oeuvre fits inside 100 pages or so.

>Poetry and short prose by various members of the so called avant-garde that manifested itself from the 20s to the 40s of last century: Geo Bogza, Max Blecher, Gellu Naum, Ilarie Voronca, Sașa Pană and so many others.

>The poetry of Ion Minulescu, Marin Sorescu, George Bacovia.

>Groapa by Eugen Barbu. Gritty and terse realism, yet pulpy and funny.

>Romanul adolescentului miop by Mircea Eliade and Invitație la dans by Mihail Drumeș. Proto-YA.

>My wife says to recommend you Patul lui Procust by Camil Petrescu, Adam și Eva by Liviu Rebreanu and Concert de muzică de Bach by Hortensia Papadat-Bengescu. All modernist novels.

>If you want to relax with something comfy and funny and very witty, check out the pamphlets of Păstorel Teodoreanu.
>>
Benjamin Fondane was a Romanian who found a fair amount of success writing in a second language (might have even been a third after Yiddish). As for how to get a sense of style in English, it depends on what style you're looking for. For a masterclass in style and for expanding your vocabulary, Vladimir Nabokov is pretty much perfect, even if it's impossible to ape his style well. For English it's worth starting with 19th century prose and then moving onto Modernism. Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, then maybe Conrad.
>>
>>8724333
Vocab is not your problem, the internet is an easy to use and nearly infinite resource for that you can use on the run. Mastery of the flow of the language, if that makes sense, is the more important part. I'm Hungarian and I've started writing in English recently. I write slowly I think but I've seen worse English prose (as for the linguistics at least) getting published or at least praised here on lit.

The talent to weave words into coherent, enjoyable text is universal for all languages and is far more important than having a language as a mother tongue. If you are a gifted writer you will be able to write much better in any language after you learn it properly than someone who is a native speaker but does not have talent.

The reason why I started in English is mostly because of the much, much larger base of people that could read, review or in an absolute best case scenario buy my work later on. Also as a non-native speaker I feel some added intellectual quality in texts that are written in English so I can value my work more while reading it through.
>>
File: IMG-20161020-WA0000.jpg (39KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161020-WA0000.jpg
39KB, 720x400px
>>8724333
Iktf man. I am romanian too and I feel that writing in English is my only hope of achieving any kind of success, even though I think Romanian is much more suited to my writing style. This place seems so lifeless and uneducated, not to mention it being completely suffocated by the contemporary American """culture""".
I don't think it should be too hard, in the worst case it would be like a translated book. Don't forget that the most known Romanian writers (Cioran, Ionescu, Eliade) are those who left the country and abandoned their language.
>>
>>8725398
>>8726118
Saved both, thanks.
>>
>>8727292
I consider myself uneducated just because I don't have the knowledge I would want.
Regarding /lit/, I am quite dumb at it because I didn't read enough or at all. But I kinda want things to change. I want to make worlds, characters and just pretend I live there afterwards and while I write.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.