[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

whats the most pretentious adjective in the english language ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 1

File: 1476978723774-1.jpg (258KB, 962x637px) Image search: [Google]
1476978723774-1.jpg
258KB, 962x637px
whats the most pretentious adjective in the english language ?
>>
menarcheal,arrhythmic and ontological imo
>>
white
>>
>>8722208
accipitrine
>>
Perspicacious
>>
>>8722208
bourgeois is almost exclusively used by pseuds.
>>
pretentious
>>
'pretentious' is the most pretentious adjective by virtue of it being purely nothing but pretentious.
>>
>>8722526
>>8722527
No. Thank you for your attempt at wit, but "pretentious", while its use is the preserve of inarticulate retards, does not itself have a pretentious character.
>>
>>8722557
>inarticulate retards

Speaking so highly of yourself, I see.
>>
>>8722563
You fucked up, the least you could do is try to come up with a vigorous retort or stfu
>>
@8722572
Here's your (You).
>>
>>8722557
It's not an attempt at wit, you only believe that because you cling so to the word.
>>
>>8722280
Ontological security is a useful set phrase though
>>
>>8722208
grandiloquent, ironically. One of those words you only know if you are so.
>>
>>8722572
>vigorous retort

Not the anon you were replying to, but my God that choice of words made me cringe.

Please stop taking yourself so seriously.
>>
>>8722604
Thanks for the word, anon. Can I fornicate your older sister?
>>
>>8722280
Ontology is a pretty useful and unique word. I think it sounds rather nice, too.
>>
>>8722606
>words I do not think of by myself are too serious
And here you have a perfect example of the sort of person whose main line of criticism is to call things pretentious.
>>
>>8722208
ostenbiley
>>
>>8722557
>pretentious isn't pretentious
>assigning something a worth AND assigning it an intended worth just so you can belittle it for failing isn't the most self-important thing of all time.
>>
>>8722208
quotidian, dilapidated, fortuitious
>>
>>8722524
this
>>
>>8723542
how is dilapidated any more pretentious than derelict
>>
>>8722208
foppish
>>
ubiquitous
>>
it always depends on the context
>>
None of the examples given above are pretentious per se. It is their use, whether or not they are called for, that turns a phrase into a pedantic exclamation.
>>
kafqaesque
>>
Capricious or sagacious
>>
>>8722208
American
>>
>>8722332
noice
>>
>>8722280
>menarcheal
i dont understand how this is pretentious, but im also guessing its used in a different way than just 'the start of a woman's period'

my vote would go to masturbatory, because its usually used when people are trying to be even more pretentious than some supposedly pretentious thing. and they seem to enjoy the bit of shock value that comes with the word, and not being affected by it.
>>
>>8722593
???
>>
All adjectives are pretentious.
>>
>>8725300
only the good ones, tho :^)
>>
>>8724079
this
>>
Obnoxious
>>
>>8722208
arduous
>>
>>8724922
ive seen it used the same way as "virgin"
>>
I can't say for the adjectives, but the most pretentious noun is absolutely "milquetoast"
>>
>it's a /lit/ gets triggered by words chapter again

Why do you people even come here?
>>
>>8726000
shiny things, etc.
>>
>>8722208
>things frasier and niles crane say
>>
problematic

I always cringe when I see problematic in a text, which lately has been technical journals.
>>
>>8722517

OOOOH good word! Can figure out what it means because I know the name of a certain genus (order? class?) of birds.
>>
>>8724922
>masturbatory
This is a good one.
>>
>>8722208
fast&bulbous
>>
>>8725864
>cute jcs are pretentious
>>
>>8722628
OK Mr superior. Calm down
>>
Latinisms were a mistake
>>
/lit/-approved
>>
>>8722208

facile
>>
pusillanimous
>>
obstreperous
>>
>>8722280
Ontological is unavoidable if you're talking about metaphysics

My vote goes to Kafkaesque. Never heard someone say it who didn't sound like a douche.
>>
>>8722572
>vigorous retort
kek
>>
>>8722208

zeitgeisty
>>
>>8722628
Kek
I used to be like you, young one. Tone it down for your own sake rather than ours. Don't take yourself too seriously or your arrogance will consume you.
>>
bellicose
>>
>>8723947
>per se
>pedantic
>>
M O I S T
O
I
S
T
>>
>>8722524
This desu
>>
>>8722208

classy
>>
It's not fair to call words that have a specific technical purpose in a given field 'pretentious' unless they're deployed needlessly and probably outside that field. 'Ontological' is a very useful word with a very specific purpose in a given field. Anon who said grandiloquent was nearly correct but not quite.

>Sesquipedalian
>>
>>8722521
it's the most beautiful word in the eng. language
>>
Ravishing. I imagine better than food guy has said it to his girlfriend more than once, to her discomfort. The thought of that is so funny to me for some reason.
>>
>>8724079
boner points if it's used incorrectly (which it almost always is)
>>
>>8728221
problematic is only cringe when used in the context of identity politics
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.