[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where should I start with Butler?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: JudithButler2013.jpg (17KB, 220x331px) Image search: [Google]
JudithButler2013.jpg
17KB, 220x331px
Where should I start with Butler?
>>
Gender Trouble
>>
Start by taking any books you have of hers and throwing them into the trash. No discernible talent, don't waste your time.
>>
By tying the noose.
>>
>>8720525
Do people say "no discernible talent" unironically here?
>>
File: 1470162297907.jpg (29KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1470162297907.jpg
29KB, 400x300px
>>8720523
Will the language be too much for me? Should I read other theory to make it make more sense?
>>
>>8720515
are you familiar with Foucault?
>>
>>8720551
No. Where should I start with him?
>>
>>8720662
well foucault's important works are madness and civ., order of things, discipline and punish, and history of sexuality. You probably do not need to read any of these to understand butler but she is in his tradition, particularly history of sexuality but she uses the same framework of historical analysis and the development of different power structures within society. I'm not super familiar with Butler but what I do know is that she focuses more on the performative nature of individuals within a society which is more nascent than developed in foucault's works. And of course if you want to go even further back than foucault, they both come from Heidegger and Nietzsche originally. Her work has some weird prose but it's not the cerebral philosophical kind, it becomes second nature when you learn the vocabulary and accept the off kilter axioms, as with Heidegger and Foucault.
>>
>>8720662
here I was actually reading this the other day.

http://humanities.wisc.edu/assets/misc/Butler.pdf
>>
File: cusset.jpg (9KB, 153x242px) Image search: [Google]
cusset.jpg
9KB, 153x242px
thank me later
>>
>>8720731
>>8720755
>>8720774
Thanks. I'll check them out
>>
>>8720515
Before you start with pleb philosophy, you should have read at least all great classics. To me she was suggested by a friend, who claimed this to be one of the best currently living philosophers. Needless to say how disappointed i was after i noticed, how many precious hours of my live were wasted at theorys, which are simply ridiculous and anti scientific.
>>
read Beatriz Preciado instead.
>>
>>8720531
Triple-layer irony.
Sincerity with an ironic voice.
Yes.
>>
The rubbish bin.
>>
>>8720515
Read Gender Trouble.

I didn't think it was too difficult but I had read The Second Sex & History of Sexuality Vol. 1 first, both of which probably helped. A lot of the psychoanalysis stuff went over my head but unless you plan to read Lacan or Kristeva beforehand I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll still get something out of it. Great book, don't listen to the haters.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.