[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

...Where should I begin?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: blanks.jpg (3KB, 216x143px) Image search: [Google]
blanks.jpg
3KB, 216x143px
I'm a lit fetus- Which is to say I'm in the process of developing my literary tastes... Or perhaps, trying to find them. My issue is, I don't know where to truly begin.

If you do decide to abort me, please, before you dispose of me, walk past your libraries; show me where you began your literary journey, where your interest in reading was born and how someone like me can come join you.
>>
Read whatever the fuck you want to read, then see what inspired it or was related and try reading the slightly more challenging books from that list. Keep doing that for each book, always challenging yourself but don't bother with stuff that bores the shit out of you until you level up, then give it another go. It's just like exercise but for your brain.
>>
>>8714969
Which book was your cherry-popper?
>>
>>8714983
No idea, I've been reading since before you were conceived.
>>
Rayuela julicortazar papa
>>
>>8714959
i started with the sumerians, just build you way up from there.
>>
My journey really began in high school, when my English teacher guided us through "A Tale of Two Cities". I still have such fond memories of that class, getting the many references and foreshadowings and being hyped as fuck until the very end.

Lolita was probably my first step towards real /lit/ness. And then Sabbath's Theater in college cemented that feeling.
>>
>>8714959
Have you tried looking through the sticky, OP? There's a link at the bottom that will take you to a few dozen lists of recommended books, categorized for your convenience!

But really, just find a classic to read through. Something fairly easy, like Fahrenheit 451 or East of Eden. If you like it, look for similar stuff (or look for books that those authors enjoyed). If you didn't like it, pick up something else and try again. And definitely utilize those recommended reading lists.
>>
>>8715048
Thank you, anon. Thank you.
>>
>>8715022
I had the same experience with Dickens. I loved it.

>>8714959
Start with highschool tier /lit/. The starter kit is mostly stuff from highschool or even earlier, though they also throw lolita in there which is a tall order for a new reader.
>>
File: 1365475090228.jpg (418KB, 747x1417px) Image search: [Google]
1365475090228.jpg
418KB, 747x1417px
>>8715048
Is the lit starter kit in the sticky still relevant though? From my lurking it seems you all find most of it to be meme-y.

Also how does one engage in /lit/ level reading? I am just about to get back into reading for leisure and I was wondering what concepts/developments/miscellany you guys look for in a book, and what makes one good. Cheers!
>>
>>8715529
>I am just about to get back into reading for leisure and I was wondering what concepts/developments/miscellany
lmao
just read my man, read for leisure but try to understand what you are reading with time and experience those kind of things will come.
and why meme-y? they are exactly that, short or easier books for people who haven't read a lot.
>>
>>8715540
Noted, I just remember coming across threads where people were hating on Catcher in the Rye and Tolkien, etc. Any suggestions on where to progress after becoming a bit more well-read?
>>
File: 1471643347948.jpg (2MB, 3240x3600px) Image search: [Google]
1471643347948.jpg
2MB, 3240x3600px
>>8714959
Step 1. Read the wiki

Step 2. Start with the Greeks.

Step 3. Leave passive aggressive comments on /lit/ thread

Congratulations, you are now a pseudo-intellectual like the rest of us.
>>
>>8714959
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>8714959
The most IMPORTANT thing is to read/watch book summaries of complicated philosophy, pretend you actully read it, nd shitpost about it on lit
>>
>>8715529
Still relevant? Those books are older than you.
They are acclaimed and accessible, and that's why they are on that chart.

To answer your question, read How to Read and Why by Harold Bloom.
>>
>>8714959
Infinite Jest or you will feel like a lesser /lit/ poster
>>
START
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.