[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is asceticism the ultimate literary lifestyle?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: ascetic.jpg (52KB, 325x413px) Image search: [Google]
ascetic.jpg
52KB, 325x413px
Is asceticism the ultimate literary lifestyle?
>>
>>8714262
>tfw too ascetic to take pleasure from reading
>>
i like to think so, but at the same time i can't rid myself of my filthy hedonist habits
>>
>>8714283
Which ones?
>>
How do you manage to stay alive while being an ascetic anyway? Like do you beg for food/money?
>>
>>8714291
i drink too much alcohol and caffeine, laze around in bed longer than i should, and have a sweet tooth for candies and pastries
>>
>>8714262
No, the Middle Path is.
>>
>>8714296
NEETbux
>>
>>8714319
Nope.
>>
>>8714334
Yeah-huh.
>>
No, read Siddhartha.
>>
>>8714319
Recommended good reads on the middle path?
>>
What about Romantics?
The rising popularity of asceticism among young people is pretty sad. The #YOLO people aren't cool but pretending to be an old man is pretty lame as well.
>>
>>8714438
>rising popularity of asceticism among young people
Except it isn't.
Those people just like the ideals that come with asceticism, but none of them really go through with the lifestyle. Current youth are too addicted to constant gratification that they'll settle with just having the thoughts and intentions as being enough.
>>
>>8714438
plebbiest plebber of the plebs
>>
>>8714262
Books are a material pleasure, and a distraction.

Ascetics do not read.
>>
>>8714319
Friendly reminder that Gautama's "middle path" is extreme asceticism by modern standards.
>>
>>8714725
If done properly today, what would it look like?
>>
>>8714728
See the Thai Forest Tradition.
>>
What are some works on asceticism?
>>
>>8714429
Siddhartha. It is literally the most perfect story ever written. Supplement it with Zen Mind: Beginners Mind. These two books will change the way you look at every single thing in the universe.
>>
>>8714742
Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung
>>
>>8714757
>eastern
>>
nah. but its a necessary phase tho.
>>
>>8716915
what is the final form?
>>
>>8714262
As a lifestyle it's retarded but given the average daily consumption of brain candy it's great to do (and eat and fuck..) nothing once in a while
>>
>>8716925
no such thing. everything is in an eternal cycle of exchange between different forms.
>>
>>8714262
I would say a failed asceticism is more literary.
>>
>>8716957
respect
>>
>>8716957
I think you're confusing existence with being.
>>
>>8714315
why did I think it wasn't going to be sex
>>
>>8714262
>Define "ultimate literary style"
>>
The only thing keeping me from going full ascetic is that it is antagonistic towards writing or producing anything artistic.
>>
>>8717673
kek
>>
>>8714757
>It is literally the most perfect story ever written
The ending was crappy though.
>>
>>8717701

what do you even know, nigger
>>
File: image.png (550KB, 1248x1144px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
550KB, 1248x1144px
>>8717673
you must be a perceptive one
>>
>>8717701
youre a fag, an ascetic purge is the way to open your clogged imagination
>>
>>8714262

>>8714262

I have attempted asceticism this year by giving up all my vices and let me tell you it is 100% incompatible with the literary lifestyle. It isolates you from the common man, who cannot relate to you and on whose interactions you as a writer rely upon for reference material so your novels can have psychological depth.

The literary lifestyle does require some engagement with eastern spirituality, but this should be largely for the aesthetic beauty of the scriptures, an apprection of pagan naturalism/atavism, and its unification of poetry and religion like the romantics so admired in the orientals. But more than anything, eastern religion should help the writer to live in an artistic way - Kierkegaard said that it was only when one had lost hope that one could live artistically - without falling back on nihilism, which is truly a scourge of these times
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.