[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you accidentally read the real redpill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1056.jpg (23KB, 318x393px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1056.jpg
23KB, 318x393px
>tfw you accidentally read the real redpill
>>
>>8712605
What translations are gud?
>>
>>8712605
>tfw you read the ramblings of a bitter old man that are devoid of any philosophical merit and mistake them for "redpills"
>>
>>8712611
That one.
>>
>>8712605

I know, On the Vanity of Existence is heavy shit man.

>>8712611

Hollingdale is fine too.

>>8712932

>devoid of any philosophical merit

Do fuck off. Even if I were to concede that his ideas do not hold today (contentious) you cannot deny the importance of him in philosophical history.
>>
>>8712932
>bitter old man
Please do elaborate how a wealthy playboy was bitter.

For those who want to read it:

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/schopenhauer/arthur/pessimism/index.html

Beware though, some chapters might break you - especially the chapter On Women.
>>
>redpill

Get out.
>>
>playing the flute
>pessimist
>>
>>8714029
He was really mad about HEGELLLLL

Mainly because Hegel was more popular and probably had even better access to qts
>>
>>8714029
>playboy

bro tried to court the object of his desire with a bunch of grapes. dude was full autism.

>wealthy

has no bearing on being bitter. being wealthy actually gives you a nice vantage point for bitterness, since you are able to realize you cant be fulfilled by the things money buys. read ecclesiastes, for example.

>some chapters might break you - especially the chapter On Women

easily the worst but also the most memed out of all of schoppy's writing
>>
>>8712605
>compassion for your fellow sufferers and aesthetic contemplation is the redpill

i can get behind this!
>>
>>8714046
>Mad
Prove it.

>>8714052
>bro tried to court the object of his desire with a bunch of grapes. dude was full autism.
How do you think people would court in that time and space? Ask her if she wants to netflix and chill? Get real.

>has no bearing on being bitter. being wealthy actually gives you a nice vantage point for bitterness, since you are able to realize you cant be fulfilled by the things money buys. read ecclesiastes, for example.
He could do everything he wanted to do.

>easily the worst but also the most memed out of all of schoppy's writing
Easily one of the best chapters considering the sociological existential crisis in our present zeitgeist.
>>
t. Bailey Saunders
>>
>>8714083
>How do you think people would court in that time and space?

>Courtship advanced by gradations, with couples first speaking, then walking out together, and finally keeping company after mutual attraction had been confirmed. But a gentleman had to take care in the early stages of courtship. If he was introduced to a lady at a party for the purpose for dancing, he could not automatically resume their acquaintance on the street. He had to be re-introduced by a mutual friend. And then, only upon permission of the lady.

>Courting allowed young men and women to meet and socialize largely unchaperoned, at a variety of entertainments. Although William Drew and Hannah Powell were of different social stations (he of the gentry class and she of the upper-middling sort), they still met often at church, balls, parties, public entertainments, and neighbors’ homes.

Looks like they courted by talking and being introduced through mutual friends. Offering a bunch of grapes is the equivalent of a handing someone a romance mixtape out of the cold.

>But an examination of his life reveals a yearning for marriage frustrated by a train of rejections. In the year 1831, Schopenhauer fell in love with a girl named Flora Weiss. At a boat party in Germany he made his advance by offering her a bunch of grapes. Flora’s diary records this event as follows: "I didn’t want the grapes because old Schopenhauer had touched them, so I let them slide, quite gently into the water." Apparently, she was underwhelmed."

i'm telling you, that was just one fuckup a line of autistic fumbling. the chapter On Women is completely imbued with ressentiment.

>He could do everything he wanted to do

except win the heart of his unrequited loves, for starters. thats exactly what i mean by not being able to be fulfilled by the things money buys. theres things that money can't buy, and being wealthy is a special vantage point in being able to see this. his being wealthy can only put him more toward bitterness than anything else. your reply here didn't refute anything i said, you just quoted me and wrote your own redundant thought.

>the sociological existential crisis in our present zeitgeist

which is what, exactly? are you sure you don't mean your personal libidinal crisis?

sources:
http://www.literary-liaisons.com/article009.html
http://www.history.org/Foundation/journal/Holiday07/court.cfm
http://hiw.kuleuven.be/eng/alumni/newslet11.pdf
>>
>>8713818
I didn't say that Schopenhauer isn't important in philosophy. This book in particular certainly isn't, it's trash

>>8714029
>doesn't explain or try to justify any of his points
>considered legitimate criticism against women
/r9k/ please leave
>>
>there will never be a Schopenhauer thread without robot vs whiteknight faggotry
Excellent.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.