[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name a living Catholic poet whom you admire.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: eliot.jpg (29KB, 398x432px) Image search: [Google]
eliot.jpg
29KB, 398x432px
Name a living Catholic poet whom you admire.
>>
I can't name a poet or catholic or living person I admire.
>>
>>8707226
Do you admire any objects or non-human entities or ideas then? Name one.
>>
Cormac McCarthy
>>
>>8707461
definitely not catholic what the f
>>
there are no living poets. poetry can't happen on the internet.
>>
>>8707466
>last name's McCarthy, ya dip
>raised catholic
>went to catholic school
>knows that god is war

What more do you want?
>>
I admire Eliot as a writer because his religious/political views are unrelated to his writing ability. Any "X" writer whose "X" is central and indivisible from the writing is sure to be fairly bad.
>>
>>8707485
>I admire Eliot as a writer because his religious/political views are unrelated to his writing ability
But the content of his writing is explicitly religious and political
>>
>>8707466
He's clearly catholic. probably even a Jesuit and/ or went to a catholic school. I haven't read his bio though, just blood meridian
>>
>>8707489
No that is a gloss you apply to it yourself, try reading his works without your prejudices and you will see only the occasional intrusion of those ideas.
>>
>>8707475
I have an Irish name and went to catholic school as well but have had nothing to do with Catholicism since.
>>8707491
Have you guys actually read Blood Meridian? It is very clearly a damnation of the church. How much imagery of death do you need inside of those mexican churches for you to see that? If you want to say he believes in some sort of God I agree but don't say that he is a catholic.
>>
>>8707518

>How much imagery of death do you need inside of those mexican churches to see that?
That's actually (death) hilarious considering every mexican church i've been inside has a broken, tortured dead guy hanging front and center

Have you actually gone to church? What's more catholic than holy violence?

>nothing to do with Catholicism since
if you left the united states (or fill in your country) would you stop being american? no. you are catholic too
>>
File: 906_001.jpg (164KB, 913x654px) Image search: [Google]
906_001.jpg
164KB, 913x654px
>>8707485
A good tree produces good fruit, even though you see none of the tree in the fruit.
That's the secret, to be nowhere in your works, like Shakespeare.

Elliot's writing might not be provably Catholic, but he was a Catholic and his writing deals with themes that are elementary to Catholicism, but because they are so elementary not many people can identify them as distinctly Catholic.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (131KB, 680x478px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
131KB, 680x478px
>>8707534
I can't even
>>
>>8707518
In what way is it a damnation of the church? There is much imagery throughout of ruined churches. So you have this landscape of a fallen world with the decay and absence of the unifying moral agent that 'civilizes' man. And what sort of people inhabit this place? tribes of immoral godless heathens killing one another for self interest etc operating within the laws of nature, unbound by religious dogma/ gods law
>>
>>8707220
Myself desu
>>
>>8707508
Speaking as someone who did thesis work on Eliot, you're completely insane. Go read more later Eliot.
>>
>>8707226
This to be quite honest

>>8707230
I admire The Ideas
>>
>>8707508
try again bud
>>
>>8707475
literally jacob boehme you fucking pleb
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.