[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eco

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1478627682692-1501251588.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1478627682692-1501251588.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Which one should I read first /lit/?
>>
<-
>>
name of the rose

both are great

enjoy
>>
Nothing.
He's a shit author that appeals to retards with pseudo-intellectuality.
>>
Those are some pretty covers.

I enjoyed The Name of the Rose the most.
>>
>>8706385
I'm 100 pages into The Name of the Rose and I'm already thinking about dropping it desu
>>
>>8706411
Why is that?
>>
>>8706411
he deliberately made the first 100 pages super hard to read to weed out the plebs
>>8706408
pseud detected desu. go back to reading dfw and posting on r/books
>>
>>8706413
Italiandanbrown.txt
>>
>>8706385
The Name of the Rose is a historical detective story. Foucault's Pendulum just talks a lot about history in the frame of a modern detective story.

Whichever seems more appealing, I suppose. The Name of the Rose has a more traditional narrative.
>>
>>8706413
Can't stand the pompous writing. He spends whole pages describing such pointless shit that it feels like I'm reading your average fantasy novel. The passage in which he lists dozens of mythological creatures for no apparent reason is the most flagrant example. Makes me wonder if they hired a syphillitic monkey to edit this shit.
>>
How is The Island of the Day Before, good starting place for Eco?
>>
>>8706426
Eco was a semiotician, so it stands to reason that a good 99% of what he included in his works were allegorical or otherwise metaphorical in some way. If you haven't found a reason for his three page description of a centaur carved into the frame of a church entrance, it's because you haven't found it yet, not because one doesn't exist.

Just read some of his scholarly work (I recommend Semiotics and the Philosophy of Language), the guy was a smart cookie. He had a library within an order of magnitude of 10,000 books or so, purportedly all read.
>>
>>8706445
>purportedly all read
https://www.brainpickings.org/2015/03/24/umberto-eco-antilibrary/
>>
>>8706445
I've read and enjoyed plenty of his articles and I agree that the guy was smart af and an all around awesome humanist. As I said I'm only a 100 pages in, so there's a good chance that those passages will become meaningful later on (not sure how, but still). But I'm really not enjoying this at all so far.
>>
>>8706452
I'm the person you responded to, and I stand corrected. Thanks for the article, I'm always looking for more information on Eco.
>>
>>8706455
That's cool, his works are admittedly really only interested if you find his academic works interesting. I don't think that most would find his works very appealing unless you're more of the antiquarian bent or are fascinated by Eco's work outside of fiction.

IMHO, for Foucault's Pendulum and Name of the Rose (haven't read his other novels) to really have their full intended effect on the reader, one should interpret his work from the perspective of his accomplishments in academia ("Model Q" being the pinnacle AFAIK). For instance, Name of the Rose makes infinitely more sense once one studies Eco's semiotic theories (revolving around informational labyrinths that resemble the library from the book).
>>
>>8706477
Well the way you described sounds interesting so I will give it another hundred pages or so and see if it grabs my interest.

I hate leaving books unfinished anyways so thanks senpai
>>
>>8706455
Then drop it. The flavor, tone and voice which are the real strengths of the book are apparent from the outset.

It you aren't sucked in almost immediately its appeal will be lost on you.
>>
>>8706418
'I haven't read anything by Eco but want to be edgy'.jpg
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.