[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There is any point in writing if you now that you will never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 38773[1].jpg (43KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
38773[1].jpg
43KB, 225x350px
There is any point in writing if you now that you will never be able to produce a work that you consider good enough?
>>
this man, in my country, he is everything.

how can you know that for sure, OP? what you consider good changes a lot throughout your life, man. don't give up.
>>
>>8706315
to improve perhaps
>>
>>8706315

1. Stop watching television. Instead, read as much as possible.
2. Prepare for more failure and criticism than you think you can deal with.
3. Don't waste time trying to please people.
4. Write primarily for yourself.
5. Tackle the things that are hardest to write.
6. When writing, disconnect from the rest of the world.
7. Don't be pretentious.
8. Avoid adverbs and long paragraphs.
9. Don't get overly caught up in grammar.
10. Master the art of description.
11. Don't give too much background information.
12. Tell stories about what people actually do.
13. Take risks; don't play it safe.
14. Realize that you don't need drugs to be a good writer.
15. Don't try to steal someone else's voice.
16. Understand that writing is a form of telepathy.
17. Take your writing seriously.
18. Write every single day.
19. Finish your first draft in three months.
20. When you're finished writing, take a long step back.
21. Have the guts to cut.
22. Stay married, be healthy, and live a good life.

More at http://www.businessinsider.com/stephen-king-on-how-to-write-2014-8.
>>
>>8706341
honestly some great advice from one of the most talented writers to ever hit the mainstream. thanks pal!
>>
art is best when it's not good enough. 99.99% of all first drafts are shit. the craft aspect comes in at molding it into something worthwhile like refining a sculpture.

if art were good enough it would be shit. even miyazaki is hard on himself and although totally arrogant at times, he works hard and wears himself out to obtain satisfaction from his work. do you?
>>
Some of the best advice I ever got was "Allow yourself to write really shitty first-drafts." People often read polished novels and interpret them as first drafts, as if other writers are able to vomit incredible writing first try every time. Some first drafts are better than others, but all are overall shitty. So be okay with your stuff being shitty and know that you'll revise it later to make it less so.
>>
>>8706315
Which is why, my dear friend, I still write to this day.

When asked what his favourite work was, Picasso replied;

"The next one."

Keep at it, OP.
I believe in you.
You should too.
>>
>>8706581
Wow picaso so edgy. Fuck that, if you read enough its likely that youll never meet your standards, because chances are you're not better than the authors you read
>>
>>8706754
Sheesh, calm down, love.
Don't see how you could be offended by this, to be honest.

Also; I prefer what I write over anything since I write it for me, and I know exactly what I want to read.
"De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum"

Edgy enough for you?

Have a lovely day.
>>
>>8706424
but miyazaki sucks dick
>>
>>8706792
Wrong but okay
>>
about three years ago i wrote something that i thought was pretty good. "in fact," i decided, "that's good enough."

so i stopped there. i occasionally re-read it and giggle, thinking this is some form of masturbation.
>>
>>8706341
>8. Avoid adverbs and long paragraphs.
>9. Don't get overly caught up in grammar.
12. Tell stories about what people actually do.
16. Understand that writing is a form of telepathy.
19. Finish your first draft in three months.
I've noticed that all the writers adivce I have ever read on writing is only a description on how they write and is usually awful advice. This list was actually okay except for these.

>>8706424
>art is best when it's not good enough
>if art were good enough it would be shit
What the fuck am I reading?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.