[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what translation of the histories by herodotus do i read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: download (4).jpg (7KB, 189x267px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
7KB, 189x267px
what translation of the histories by herodotus do i read
>>
>>8698573
rule of thumb hackett > oxford > penguin
>>
>>8698573
The landmark.
>>
>>8698584
I preferred Oxford. I don't think it's that big of a deal though, translation quality isn't as important if you're not dealing with something written in meter.
>>
The Landmark edition is by far the best option and it isn't even close, especially for an amateur or those just getting started.
>>
I read the penguin edition and holy shit what a chore. I'd go with the Landmark, as I got the Landmark Thucy and it is a lot easier to follow the "narrative" if you will.
>>
Landmark's is OK but I preferred Selincourt and Selincourt's annotations

Didn't find the Landmark for Herodotus very handy, I mean how many fucking times do you have to tell me where Asia Minor is
>>
Landmark bombards you with notes. Would recommend for a second reading, not a first.
>>
>>8699677
The notes are helpful if you are the kind of person who doesn't want to skim over or have to google every tyrant mentioned.
>>
>>8699686
Notes are helpful, but Landmark's notes constitute a running scholarly commentary.
>>
>>8698573
>translations
>he posts on /lit/ and hasn't studied both latin and ancient greek
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8699677
>>8699705
It's the otherway around actually. Landmark isn't that fun with all the notes the second time around, but reading such works first with them is much more enjoyable and memorable. They have an appendix that has chapters explaining a lot of the subjects and a glossary of names and places which makes it easy to understand any prerequisite knowledge of reading the text and expounds into various subjects and questions that are in the particular Histories.

Landmark feels the need to point out every place and region whenever it first appears in any particular chapter or section, and sometimes keeps doing it with the same named place various times throughout in the same chapter. Like, I get these are often used (and partly designed in mind for) as history textbooks for College students who aren't familiar with Ancient Greece or Ancient Greek history that much, but if you're reading Landmark's Hellenica or Campaigns of Alexander you should already know where Sparta and Athens is and that they're city-states.
>>
>>8698632
This.
Maps are neat and Strassler gives you like 200. It's impossible to get lost and his notation is consistently informative. I have to admit though, I've never read any other version but compared to what I had initially anticipated, it's an incredible read
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.