[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to go next with Saul Bellow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: oldcanadianjewishman.jpg (39KB, 267x274px) Image search: [Google]
oldcanadianjewishman.jpg
39KB, 267x274px
I recently picked up most of Bellow's works - Herzog, Ravelstein, The Actual, Seize the Day, Adventures of Augie March, Bellarossa Connection, Humboldt's Gift - I've already read Seize the Day. Is there any recommended order with which to continue?
>>
>>8698534
what the hell you're bumping lmao
>>
I'd start with Middle Bellow, move on to Late and skip his early stuff entirely. He hits his stride with Herzog, which is a more compact and better statement of his concerns than Humboldt, though you should absolutely read the latter. Mr. Sammler's Planet is pleasingly cranky, as is The Dean's December. He sort of gives up on plot toward the end, but compensates with wisdom and beautiful clarity.

Prior knowledge of Delmore Schwartz and John Berryman will enhance the experience of reading Humboldt.

In sum: Herzog -> Humboldt -> Sammler. If you like those, give the late stuff a try. His letters are also fantastic and possibly a better gateway into his work than any novel.
>>
>>8698587
thanks for this. been meaning to read Bellow after devouring Roth years ago but never got around to it. maybe after i'm done with what little i have left of Faulkner.
>>
>>8698587
Thank you friend. Just out of curiosity - have you read Seize the Day yourself? If so, what did you think of it? Was it a good place to jump in at? It seems to get a lot of hype, and i'm curious to know another's opinion on it. (I personally enjoyed it)
>>
>>8698617
Glad it's of help.

Having first read him at his height, Seize the Day didn't quite do it for me. In a way it's a good intro though, in that a lot of his later concerns are present, although less engagingly – the dreaming, persecuted intellectual, his desire for intellectual/spiritual synthesis, seductive-though-phony 'reality instructors,' etc. Tommy left me a bit cold as Bellow protagonists go, but on the other hand he was given insights like this:

'(...) the business of life, the real business—to carry his peculiar burden, to feel shame and impotence, to taste these quelled tears—the only important business, the highest business was being done. Maybe the making of mistakes expressed the very purpose of his life and the essence of his being here.'

... Anyway, to answer your question, there are much worse places to start. He gets much, much better in the 60's, so if you liked 'Seize' you have good times ahead.
>>
>>8698616
No problem. Where would you recommend someone start with Roth?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.