[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the point of this book?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: images-30.jpg (18KB, 211x300px) Image search: [Google]
images-30.jpg
18KB, 211x300px
What is the point of this book?
>>
>>8697874
It's about a Jew beating up a matador.
>>
>>8697874
The minimalistic writing stye may of caused things to go over your head

It literally has heaps of themes and meanings. The biggest being the lost generation aspect. Others include lady Ashley and her antics, Women, marriage, love etc.
Drinking
Disenfranchisement
Some people even argue cruelty to animals

His writing style makes you do the thinking instead of laying it al out on the paper
>>
>>8697874
life sucks when you can't get it up.
>>
>>8697931
Expand on all of these
>>
>>8697962
The writing style he uses makes you expand on things personally. The two biggest are the lost generation and lady Ashley

He is a world war 1 veteran and I literally lost, what the fuck is he doing, literally, he is part of a Mötley Crüe on a holiday. Have a looks at a moveable feast by Hemingway, he personally goes into it slightly

Lady Ashley is a representation of women. He has an odd relationship with her and it will never become intimant, despite what he had in the past, she is so out of touch and self centred about it. At the end of it the girl who is so alluring despite being so terrible and him knowing it runs off or whatever (can't remember exactly what it is, but intercoms apparent that things will lever work out). She also creates drama between the group

Drinking is pretty straight forward, but maybe it's just a filler for the novel, Ol Ernest did love a drink
>>
>>8697874
Don't forget the mention of the steer and the way they treat Cohn, Calling him a steer. Even though he beats the living hell out of all of them pretty much proving he could be the bull if he wanted. While Brett is pretty much the Matador playing games running in and out of their lives as she sees fit, but they bend to her whim so easily like a bull chasing the cape.
>>
>>8697931
>may of
stopped reading there
>>
The message is don't be a cuck

Also how does a farewell to arms compare to this one?
>>
>>8699291
I prefer Farewell, but i read Farewell along time ago where as The Sun Also rises i read fairly recent. I found that I feel much more for a character that is in a WWI trying to survive. Falling in love, the distance from home. But The Sun Also rises has some beautiful sections as well. I loved the ending, I just feel the characters in the sun are just really unlikable. Like Brett is a bitch, Mike is an ass, Cohn is a cuck, Jake is dick/cuck. The only likable character is Bill. However i think that is partially intentional because it is showing the effects the war had on them, how they try to cope in different ways.
>>
>>8697874
To prove German literature is superior.
See: All Quiet on the Western Front
>>
>>8697931
>>8697874

also not having a dick.
>>
>>8699291
It's not quite as exciting, and less thematically rich. One of those books that you really feel the length of instead of wanting it to continue. I still enjoyed it but unless you harbor an inherent interest in WW1 and early 20th century Europe and all of that jazz you probably won't find it very compelling.
>>
>>8697874
To do away with the dangerous delusion that the sun only sets.
>>
Joey, in a few hours the sun will rise!
>>
>>8697874
>What is the point of this book?
Americans in Paris drank a lot in restaurants back in the 1920's
>>
One of my favorite novels. Here it goes:

The lost generation: Jake and his friends were directly influenced by WWI. Brett lost her husband. Jake was injured. Bill and Mike fought. Cohn was the outlier who had no war-experience, and so he felt like an outsider.
In Paris they led an aimless life. They hung out in cafés and talked about mundane things. They got drunk in the evenings. Brett had casual sex. Jake wanted to, but couldn't. Mike was a bad drunkard. Cohn was the man who wasn't traumatized by the war, but was dropped in the middle of a group which tried to cope via hedonism. They had no aims, goals, a meaning. Nothing, but seeking pleasure, completely destroyed by the war they've witnessed, but unable to have a meaningful conversation about it. Bill traveled around Europe, visited the glorious city of Budapest (I'm totally not biased) and Vienna, got drunk, betted on negros.
The Greek count has seen many wars and revolutions, and he lives the same lifestyle as Jake and co. He, however, isn't afraid of talking about his life and worldview which led to his much saner hedonism. He shows that WWI is unlike any wars fought before, even combined. The count saw many battles and survived with his relative sanity intact, cheerful and unbroken, while WWI was all Jake and his friends needed to come out wretched.
Jake and his veteran friends were like Belmonte, the once great matador. Once full of ambition, now unable to live up to the world's expectations, living without purpose.

Jealousy: Brett was a slut. She slept around. Mike didn't like it, but couldn't do anything. Jake didn't like it, but he couldn't have sex with Brett, which made their relationship a no-go. Jake seemingly overcame jealousy, to the point where he basically cucked himself, but acted like it's fine. No one knew of his jealousy.
Note Jake's description of Cohn, what he thinks of the latter as the story progresses. In the beginning, Cohn is a friend, and Jake can enjoy his company, altough he's not as a good friend as his veteran friends, there's a disconnect. As Cohn gets closer to Brett and shows his attraction, Jake thinks of him less and less. When he finds out that Cohn had sex with Brett, Jake becomes hostile in his thoughts, and finds Cohn more and more annoying. He starts to give unflattering descriptions of Cohn, to the point of hatred on the inside, indifference on the outside.

Love: Love is more than sexuality, but not to everyone. Jake was unable to have sex, and so it wasn't his ultimate motivation when pursuing Brett. He met women in Paris and had a good time despite his injury. To Brett, sex was nearly everything.
To see how one's selfishness in love hurts others -even when it doesn't show-, see "Jealousy". Brett hurt both Jake, Mike, Cohn, and the young Romero.
>>
>>8702566
Manliness:
-Jake felt less of a man because of his injury. He literally lost his manhood. He felt no need to compensate, but he did wallow in self-pity. His insecurity shows when he weeps at night, can't sleep, or when he recalls the events around his injury.
-Bill was afraid of showing his emotions, particularly his affection for others, so as not to be labeled as a "fag". He was fond of Jake, but couldn't tell him until they were alone. He clings to the manly image so much that he has to repress his feelings.
-Mike felt less of a man because he was constantly cucked by Brett. He also couldn't provide to her. In his drunken self-pity, he brought up his bankruptcy numerous times in the book, even though that self-insert was completely unneeded. He wanted validation from his friends, for someone to say: Even though you can't satisfy Brett's sexual and material needs, you're a man.
-Cohn didn't say much about the subject, but he did feel like he had to prove himself. He took up boxing and wanted to do interesting things to prove that a Jewish dude who hasn't seen combat can be as much of a man as his friends, who, ironically, also felt insecure about their manliness.
-Romero clings to the conservative concept of genders. A man should be strong, a man should court the woman, and a woman shouldn't be anything like a man. This is why he wants Brett to change. Not only her hair, but her independent, man-like personality too. He had sex with Brett, and so he wanted to put a ring on it. He was pure and naive.

Spirituality: Jake and his friends are annoyed by the religious people on the train. They can't stand the moral superiority of man who never had to see what they themselves went through. They don't openly reject religion, but they're annoyed by the arrogant, willful ignorance of the religious. Jake tries to reconnect with his spirituality in Spain when he visits a church, but he's unsuccesful. Their spirituality is gone, they don't want to and can't find God.

Purity: There's nothing much to talk about besides the contrast between Romero and Jake's group. Romero is young, pure and naive. Montoya wants him to stay that way. Brett doesn't, she "ruins" his purity.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.