[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books Read in 2016

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: read.png (56KB, 655x804px) Image search: [Google]
read.png
56KB, 655x804px
It's that time of year again. Post what you have read this year. What books did you guys like the most or the least? Any surprises that popped up in the year? Anything you plan on squeezing in the last few weeks of the year? Plans for next year?

This year has been the least culturally diverse for me in a few years. I'm learning French so I have held off from reading French books but asides from that I can't really explain why. I can't say I have a favourite though I did immensely enjoy certain books of poetry by Yeats contained within his collected poems. My least favourite was easily Catch 22, so much so that I dropped only about 20 pages from the end. I've suffered from a bit of a novel fatigue in recent months which is why there is so much non-fiction this year. I think I was most surprised with The Adventure of Tom Sawer. I had not heard great things about it and knowing it was a children's novel I didn't have very high hopes but I ended up really enjoying it. I loved seeing where Faulkner got so much of his style from.

I'm pretty new to poetry but I am planning on reading a lot more of it next year. I want to keep up my reading of Japanese fiction. I think' I'll focus on the Meiji era rather than the postwar era next year. I also want to read more essay collection with Aredt and Weil being high up on my to-read list.
>>
Uh too much to list so I'd just say best was
>Under the Volcano
>Fear and Trembling
>Ulysses
>Keats
>Yeats
>>
>>8696877
>The Picture of Dorian Gray
Jesus fucking christ how do people like that thing.
I'm not even talking about the homosexuality, even if that annoys me a whole fucking lot, I'm talking about how Basil is pretty much Common Sense+Obsession, Dorian goes from innocence to 2edgy4me to pussy redemption and Henry essentially built an autistic philosophy around paradoxes, so if you ask him "How to a?" he'll answer "Do the opposite of a to do a".
>>
Do any of you guys have experience dealing with sudden lack of motivation to read? I've read a huge amount of books this year and it's pretty normal that at points I take a two or three day (sometimes up to a week) long break and then I'm fine to keep reading, but I've been having trouble reading for almost a month.
>>
>>8696887
I found the book a little dull, and it could drag at places (which is a real problem when your novel is so short) but there was a great deal of humor and wit. It sounds like most of the things you found infuriating I find mildly amusing.

>>8696898
OP here. I had that in the middle of the year. I was simultaneously reading three books I wasn't fond of (V, Catch 22 and Left Hand of Darkness) and after I had finished I couldn't bring myself to read another novel. So after a month I came back to reading with light non-fiction instead.
>>
>>8696898
It happens to everyone sometimes. Usually when I don't feel like reading i try to pull out something short and pulpy and then coming off of finishing that i usually find myself in the mood to continue reading whatever it was i was tiring of. Reading a Heinlein or Asimov novel to distract from thicc history texts is usually how it works out for me

>>8696877
I'm feeling pretty inadequate because i've only finished 23 books when my goal was 50, but i've been working a lot more than usual, and i've been reading Melville and Michener and now im caught in Moore's huge new book.

Reading more than usual rn and hopefully holiday breaks will give me time to get further into my backlog and beat last year's score
>>
>>8696928
>I'm feeling pretty inadequate because i've only finished 23 books when my goal was 50
I found it hard to keep up my reading when I moved into full-time work. My current job lets me listen to audibooks sometimes. So probably about 15 or so of those on the list I didn't actually "read".
>>
>>8696921
>>8696928

Thanks guys
>>
File: 1476801185781.png (126KB, 522x522px) Image search: [Google]
1476801185781.png
126KB, 522x522px
>>8696877
>needing this autistic chart to boost your ebin /lit/ cred
>>
>>8697004
Making this literally only takes a couple minutes longer than making a normal list but it allows at a simple glance to see what you have read a lot of, of what you have been neglecting, of general trends in your reading and It makes it easier to decide what to read next. All for five minutes work.
>>
File: Untitled.png (23KB, 698x823px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
23KB, 698x823px
How am I doing so far /lit/?

Anyone got any recommendations for comfy reading?
>>
I've read like 5 books this year, videogames are more fun to be honest familia
>>
>>8697063
It sounds like you prefer fiction to non-fiction so I'll try to recommend some comfy novels. How well did you like The Sun Also Rises? Mileage seems to vary a lot but I found A Farewell to Arms to be super comfy. I read a lot of Japanese fiction for the comfort factor with Kawabata, Tanizaki and Inoue being favourites.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.