[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

where 2 start with this sexy man?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1478035323115.jpg (25KB, 244x300px) Image search: [Google]
1478035323115.jpg
25KB, 244x300px
where 2 start with this sexy man?
>>
I'm currently starting him via The Order of Things. Feels like a terrible mistake. Maybe Discipline and Punish?
>>
>>8696183
Ya dun goofed. Go for Madness and Civilization or Discipline and Punish.
>>
>>8696193
This, and History of Sexuality is top tier
>>
Siamese Dream
>>
>>8696183
D&P is the way to go.
>>
Depends on your interest in him. I'd start with Gutting's Archaeology of Scientific Reason, which is a really good intro. Also check out Dreyfus and Rabinow, and Deleuze's short study on Foucault. Then you can pick which parts of his ouevre interest you.

Reading chronologically is fun but he's a complex and many-faceted thinker, so you might get bored to tears by his early stuff (especially if you're a real completionist) while Order of Things / Archaeology of Knowledge would have blown you away.

>>8696183
Don't get discouraged. I'm the PhD student of one of the leading Foucault scholars in the fucking world AND one of their students who is also a Foucault scholar, and they both say Foucault is "tedious" and needlessly difficult at times.

Order of Things is a lot less daunting than it looks. If you have a decent knowledge of the humanities since Kant, it's a breeze except for the first third, and gets easier as you go along. Try Gutting's book if you're feeling out of sorts. It really isn't as bad as it looks -- the hermeneutic circle is lopsided. Which is a pretentious way of saying that the initial learning curve is very steep but then it levels off quickly.

Personally I'm not very interested in his clinical histories or his history of sexuality, or even in biopolitics. Like I said, you can take a lot from Foucault without loving it all. I even find Discipline and Punish pretty boring.
>>
>>8696040
Crippled America by Donald Trump, then work backwards through Foucault's work to see how we arrived at this.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.