[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crying of Lot 49

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Lot 49.jpg (41KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
Lot 49.jpg
41KB, 333x500px
I thought it would make for a decent test of whether I like Pynchon's style before diving into Gravity's Rainbow, but I'm left a little stumped.

I followed the plot well enough, as in I could understand what was going on all the way through, but I worry that the deeper meaning eluded me. I get (with some supplementary reading) that it was about communication and chaos in America during the '60s, but as I didn't entirely pick it up as I went along, does this mean that GR would be above me?
>>
>>8693235
Why don't you just try reading it my boy
>>
>>8693235

dont for the low-iq and intrinsic meaning memes if you didnt get it right away. the beauty of pynchon is that his work warrants rereading and analysis.

not knowing exactly what is happening, if there is a uniform drive for coherence or not, and if anything is making sense is part of the fun in reading his work while at the same time, it is presented in the work by the experiences of the characters.

did you enjoy it? are you ok with not totally understanding a plot?

if yes, get GR and enjoy.
>>
>>8693253

fuckin typo. "dont fall for the low iq"
>>
>>8693253
Did I enjoy it? From the standpoint of enjoying being put into the mind of someone that either is going mad or thinks they are and subsequently begins to, it was pretty fantastic. I got caught up on Pynchon's odd grammar at times, but I think by the end I appreciated some of his deviations from the norm.

My real worry with reading (I've only recently started trying to push myself out of just reading genre fiction and wish I had done so earlier) is that I'm somehow missing out on something essential when I fail to grasp the deeper meaning people talk about in texts on a first read, but if that's something that you're supposed to really pick up on rereading, then I guess I'll file 49 back into the 'to read' list so I can take a more analytical look.

And you've sold me on GR. I look forward to being confused.
>>
Dont worry about that shit.
Pynchon didn't sit down and say
>I'm gonna write this book with this story, and deep down its gonna all be about communication and chaos in America in the 60's
>>
>>8693277
>the deeper meaning
Just ditch that expression and never use it again
>>
>>8693342
that's because he sat down and said
>I'm gonna write a book about Torquato Tasso
and then he did.
>>
>>8693253
when you rereading "the crying of lot" what insight do you understand that you don´t understand the first time.

>reading for the plot
>>
>>8693277
Keep on reading even if you don't understand shit for the 100 first pages or so. It gets easier in the second chapter
>>
Would V. be a good starting point for Pynchon?
>>
>>8693547
Absolutely
>>
>>8693547
>>8693560
It's not easily read though. Some have said they found it harder going than gravity's rainbow, and in parts I can see why.
>>
>>8693382
kek
>>
>>8693571
It's the first Pynchon I read and I loved it
>>
>>8693571
Chapter 3 maybe.
Also what did he mean by this, this being the ending paragraph of Chapter 3.
>>
>>8693235
>I worry that the deeper meaning eluded me
Congrats, that's the main theme. Oedipa is on the heels of a conspiracy which may also just be a series of coincidences. There's this push-pull of conflicting terrors, either nothing is connected and everything in the world is basically random works of chaos, or there's a cabal keeping everything ordered. The things he references (the painting of the weaving fates, the episode with the coats and its relation to the mahabharata) have to do with the way causation occurs, be it fate/karma/conspiracy or absolute nothingness. He sort of shows his hand in Gravity's Rainbow by saying "If there is something comforting – religious, if you want – about paranoia, there is still also anti-paranoia where nothing is connected to anything, a condition not many of us can bear for long." Crying and V are are both deep in this idea of can we ever make the connections between everything or are they unknowable? Or, how do we cope with the unknowable?
>>
>>8693235
I didn't understand Gravity's Rainbow. At the time I was reading less avant-garde and more character-based stuff. I'm really into Alice Munro, so I was looking for all things she usually puts out in GR because I expected that. I'm reading more complex stuff now, so in the future I'll read GR again and hopefully it won't go over my head.

Byron the Bulb was a great little passage tho.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.