[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were the greeks so fucking obsessed with happiness? Every

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: dumbass.jpg (57KB, 461x700px) Image search: [Google]
dumbass.jpg
57KB, 461x700px
Why were the greeks so fucking obsessed with happiness? Every greek philosophy school boils down to muh virtues and muh happiness and muh pleasures self-help. Why were they so decadent and egotistical?
Post-antiquity western philosophy was almost never about attaining some retarded comfy state
>>
Genuinely curious about what else you think we should be seeking
>>
File: eater-of-presidents.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
eater-of-presidents.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
>>8688362
I assume OP enjoys abstract philosophy that brings no conflict with the established authorities in his life and will bear no effect in his day-to-day life.

We can't all be Socrates.
>>
Because they were anthropocentric. Also that`s because all their gods are human shaped, and the only difference between us and them is inmortality, wich is more a simbolic concept than a literal.
>sorry for my bad english
>>
>>8688357
>Post-antiquity western philosophy was almost never about attaining some retarded comfy state
lul?
>>
>muh autistic categories is more important
There's a reason why Socrates, then later Kierkegaard and Nietzsche, are so important.

Hopefully we will get another soon, so we can get out of our pure distillation of autism (analytics) and pomo nonsense (muh everything in history ever EVER reduces to racism, class conflicts, and sex conflicts!!!)
>>
>>8688357
>he confuses happiness with human flourishing

Classical ethics is more concerned with excellence than pleasure.
>>
>>8688357
>he confuses happiness with agon
>>
>>8688396
it's richard rorty
>>
>>8688357
>he doesn't seek The Good
It seems you're confused, OP
>>
>egotistical

Happiness means minimal exertion, minimal possession, and minimal pride, which mean minimal potential harm to others - the polar opposite of Egotism.
>>
>>8688503
Happiness is the opposite of egotism? Since when?
>>
>>8688536
since the ancient greeks
>>
it isnt even true tho. Seneca straight said, that pain is good, because its means to acquire virtues of character
>>
File: plato.png (513KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
plato.png
513KB, 800x600px
>>8688536
Tyrannical man pls go
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.