[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got my first Publishing Proposal and have no idea what to do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: 1318199516002.png (47KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1318199516002.png
47KB, 645x773px
I'm nervous, /lit/. I just got a publishing proposal for the first time in my life.

>I was happy until

I read they want me to buy 200 copies of my own novel that "I will later sell in events for the recommended retail price (a few bucks higher than what I'll pay)".

Is this standard procedure or am I being scammed? The publishing house is not indie.
>>
What the fuck publishing house are you with? Literally every sales scheme that makes you buy into it is a scam, no exceptions.
>>
>>8685683
sounds like horseshit.
>>
>>8685683
seems so incredibly legit, only a fool would not do it!
>>
>>8685683

>I read they want me to buy 200 copies of my own novel that "I will later sell in events for the recommended retail price (a few bucks higher than what I'll pay)".

Translation: They don't expect you to sell 20 copies.

Don't do it, OP. Don't do it.
>>
>>8685683

I hear that's pretty common, yeah. Almost every contract expects you to buy a number of copies and go shill yourself in events. Not that I'd ever do it, but yeah.
>>
>>8685683

what publisher? i know very little about the publishing industry but if they do their job of promoting the ever living shit out of your book with advanced reader copies, press releases, and scheduling appearances (might be you or your agent's job), then it might be worth it.

if its a small, noname publisher that has no reputation nationally/internationally, sounds like youre getting memed.

regardless, you could always get a job at a book store and write with a pseudonym, stock the books and point people towards it. if your writing is worth it, this may be a way to get your foot in the door and start generating some buzz.
>>
>>8685683

Who the fuck is scamming you like that? Name and shame, OP.
>>
>>8685683
They also only offer 10% of a book's price as royalties. And I have to buy these hundreds of copies to begin with.

This is looking like a scam, desu.
>>
>>8685694
>>8685711
>>8685715
Is this normal?

Because I'd have to go on debt to buy these copies. I don't have any money at all.
>>
>>8685718

I also want to know the publisher.
>>
>>8685751
>>8685718
This is the publisher:

http://chiadopublishing.com/

Does it look legitimate? Is it normal for them to demand copies to be bought or is this just a cover-up for a vanity press scam?
>>
>>8685746
No you fucking idiot.

They think your book is shit and are publishing it, only because its mediocre-shit as opposed to throw in the trash shit. If your book was actually good, they'd say "Damn this looks good, we'll give it a shot"

Find a different publisher or tell them to fuck off, or both.
>>
>>8685755

lol did you even try to google them, they're a fucking scam
>>
>>8685755

Third google result for me gave me the answer. Did you even look? 100% scam
>>
>>8685683
>>8685729
>>8685746
>>8685755

OP, I'll tell you the truth.

It sounds like you're talking to what's called a vanity publisher.

Truth is, you should only go the traditional route or self-publish. Ideally, you want to go the traditional route and only self publish if you can afford it. If you can't afford to self publish, then your only option is to go the traditional route.

Any more questions, let me know.
>>
>>8685767
>>8685771
Of course I googled them first!

That is why I'm inquiring /lit/ about it.
>>
File: 1465541089173.jpg (60KB, 500x500px)
1465541089173.jpg
60KB, 500x500px
>fucking retards on MY /lit/
>>
>>8685777
Yes, I believe the 200 sales are a cover up to a vanity press scam.

It's such a shame when the only people who would want to publish my work are con artists.
>>
Reeks of a vanity publishing outfit. Keep hunting, OP. Took me approxomately 10 squillion emails before I found my agent:

http://www.andrewlownie.co.uk/authors/christopher-bardsley

http://www.andrewlownie.co.uk/authors/christopher-bardsley/books/jack-was-here

Just gotta have a thick skin. Write on, brother.

Still not published yet...
>>
>>8685817

lol Andrew Lownie, I keep bothering David Haviland with my shit, maybe one day he'll give in and agree to represent me
>>
>>8685840
He's a really good agent but can be a touch grumpy! Tough time to be selling fiction at the moment, but some awesome writers represented there.
>>
>>8685868

Yeah I researched him a bit before submitting, struck me as a bit impatient. But never mind, he'll be getting my second novel via email soon and I look forward to receiving his template rejection again.
>>
>>8685840
Shoot me a message @chriscoburg if you want any advice or anything.
>>
>>8685893

Just might bud, cheers.
>>
>>8685683
This is so bad, really.

I should've suspected the only people who would """publish""" my books would be scammers.

If you guys have any other considerations, please help me. Otherwise, I'll just spend the rest of the day punching a wall and hoping a masterpiece will crumble out.
>>
>>8685995
Dude, just gather a bunch of stimulants, set aside 48 hours, and email every fucking literary agent that you can find on google. Like a minimum of 20-30. Honestly, that's how I found my guy. Don't go direct to the publishers yet. Send me your manuscript- I'll tell you if I think it's ready. [email protected]
>>
>>8685817
>>8686185
>>8686194
gr8 memes
>>
>>8686194
Slander!
>>
>>8685995
How old are you?
>>
>>8686296

Head chef at Wendy's.
>>
>>8686365
I've been targeted by these vanity publishers too- they're total shits.
Last words- what I suggest:
Go through your manuscript and make absolutely 100% sure it is ready to submit. This is pretty much impossible unless you show it to someone else and actually listen to what they like and don't like. Remember you are writing for a reader to enjoy your book.

Embark on a mass bombing agent submission campaign- like as many as you can find. Go to AGENTS, not publishers as they are less likely to accept your book if it's already been rejected by publishers.

Give it six months- the publishing industry is glacially slow. You need to be incredibly patient.

If that doesn't work, publish through CreateSpace on amazon. If you've written a book, and you want your damn book on your shelf, this is not a bad way to do it. Less lucrative, but it will be out there forever for future generations.

Good luck! Most important thing is not to stop. The difference between good and bad writers is that bad writers give up and stop. Good writers are stubborn bastards who believe in what they do and refuse to be discouraged.

Good luck! Add me on twitter or whatever, I'd be interested to read what you've got.
>>
>>8686403
I'm...I'm not actually him, m8. I was just having a joke.
>>
>>8685755
>Analysis of manuscripts is undertaken and communicated within 10 days of their receipt.
Major red flag.
>>
File: bad.png (234KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
bad.png
234KB, 600x599px
>>8686403
>>8685817
>>8685777
>>8685767
>>8685762
>>8685715
>>8685718
>>8685694

*UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE*

I confronted them about the bullshit and tried to get a more realistic publishing deal.

They gave up on having me buy my own book but now they want 500 dollars for their services.

Chiado Publishing is a vanity press confirmed.
>>
>>8687874
literally everyone has been saying this since the first post.
>>
File: ft.jpg (6KB, 164x120px)
ft.jpg
6KB, 164x120px
>>8687874

Good job.. we have your next assignment. We need you to determine the color of this red fire truck.
>>
>>8687888
>>8687879
Vanity Press is always bullshit, right?
>>
>>8687892

99.55% of the time. You're better off going Full Cernovich and self-publishing and self-promoting.
>>
>>8685893
You're Christopher Bardsley?

Where can your book be found?
>>
File: vangogh.jpg (12KB, 196x257px)
vangogh.jpg
12KB, 196x257px
>tfw a small regional publishing house chose my novel for publication
>worked on it for three years
>I have to pay $300 to help with marketing and printing costs and mom lends me the money
>launch night gets postponed because the lady at the publishing house is busy
>finally went to a local B&N yesterday for signing
>tfw nobody turned up
>tfw a few shoppers came in and browsed and left
>tfw my mom finally turned up after her shift at the hospital
>tfw she bought three copies and comically pretended to be a groupie, asking for my signature and asking staff to take a photo etc
>tfw the lady at the publishing house had mis-booked the space and I had to leave early to make way for a book club
>>
>>8687913
This is so sad.
>>
>>8687874
>Chiado Publishing

Portuguese scamming people? No way, Jose...
>>
>>8687946
It is also a pasta
>>
>>8685683
This is now a judging publishers thread. Anyone have any thoughts on Solstice Publishing?
http://solsticepublishing.com/
AbsoluteWrite hates them, but they hate everyone. Preditors and Editors give them the okay.
Most of what I can find is- willing to publish almost anything, not a vanity press but seemingly too good to be true, definitely no real money in sales, but then that's true of 90% of indie houses. Can't for the life of me see how they are editing and covering books (even shoddily) without any cost to the author if those books are barely selling a copy apiece
>>
File: eater-of-presidents.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
eater-of-presidents.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
>>8687968
Money laundering scheme / subsidized credit scheme.

Whoever owns it use it as justification to get cheaper credit and funds from cultural investment programs OR is using this publisher as money laundering.

Sounds good to me, though. An author can easily become a published author and join in the scam.
>>
>>8687981
So you can stick "Published Author" beside your name for the low, low price of giving away your juvenalia?
I don't mean that first novel which will someday be seen as genius, I mean the short stories/ novel which was "Good enough to put your name on, but realistically never going to earn you an advance" shit.
Honestly, that sounds like it may be worth it. "Novel released by large publishing house at 23" sounds like a fair exchange for a few Word documents that were otherwise going to the trash anyway
>>
>>8687988
IF it comes with no costs to the author and the author distrusts his work but knows it's good enough to be published by Solstice, I consider it worthy it.

It's probably hated by others in the industry because of how cheap its books are.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.