[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some common pitfalls amateur writers find themselves in?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1.png (128KB, 1031x371px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
128KB, 1031x371px
What are some common pitfalls amateur writers find themselves in?
>>
Not writing every day
>>
Confidence vs. Self-awareness, credit to The Zombie Knight web serial author who pointed that out to me.

Some are too confident, so they write their dialogue-only fanfics based on popular tv shows and think they are amazing for doing so. Usually younger writers, but older writers who just write slock can fall into this trap over time too where they decide "I'm only going to write about historical revisionism" or "I'm going to write something no one will understand"(Finnegan's Wake).

Self-awareness is the writers who don't want to write because they hate everything they write, they put off writing, tell themselves no one will ever like anything they do. Meanwhile, they continue being as shit as the day before and still have that desire to write anyways.

Too much of either is bad, getting no community input or not taking advice seriously is bad, and not being generous with yourself or your work will exhaust you.
If you get past this level then I think it's more of a matter of 'what' you're writing then 'why' you're writing, and 'what' is actually the hardest part because it's so easy to skip past that or decide it really quickly.
>>
>>8681061

>>8681302

This is all just theoretic. Stop thinking about your approach to writing and just start writing so much that you know how to avoid technical pitfalls.

Such as:

Purple prose. Bad grammar. Terrible underlying structure. Meaningless babbling. Pointless theme. Obsession with aesthetics and motifs before being good at characters and story. Inconsistent voice. Inconsistent characters. Inconsistency in general. Lack of knowledge before writing about something they know hardly about. Cringe inducing dialogue, with AWFUL use of verbiage. Potpourri mindset, completely unable to write something original.
>>
could you guys rate my stories its in polish. Second is not finished yet. Bad but i dont quite know why
http://pastebin.com/qkNycmxi
http://pastebin.com/WpF4Wikt
i write every day but i also have strong reluctance to that, probably cause its so bad
>>
>>8681061
Throwing out every trope in the box in trying to write something wholly original.

When I was teenager I would literally throw away everything I would write if I thought it wasn't completely original in every aspect - the fact is that's not possible. It's not about executing an idea before everyone else, It's about executing the idea better than everyone else.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.