[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Victorian Literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

File: images-48.jpg (15KB, 707x208px) Image search: [Google]
images-48.jpg
15KB, 707x208px
>Victorian Literature
>>
>>8680125
Exactly.
>>
Mhm
>>
>>8680125
His idleness was not hygienic, but it suited him very well. He was in a manner devoted to it with a sort of inert fanaticism, or perhaps rather with a fanatical inertness. Born of industrious parents for a life of toil, he had embraced indolence from an impulse as profound as inexplicable and as imperious as the impulse which directs a man’s preference for one particular woman in a given thousand. He was too lazy even for a mere demagogue, for a workman orator, for a leader of labour. It was too much trouble. He required a more perfect form of ease; or it might have been that he was the victim of a philosophical unbelief in the effectiveness of every human effort. Such a form of indolence requires, implies, a certain amount of intelligence. Mr Verloc was not devoid of intelligence— and at the notion of a menaced social order he would perhaps have winked to himself if there had not been an effort to make in that sign of scepticism. His big, prominent eyes were not well adapted to winking. They were rather of the sort that closes solemnly in slumber with majestic effect.

Joseph Conrad. The Secret Agent / a Simple Tale (Kindle Locations 131-138).
>>
File: Spell-Check.png (93KB, 486x556px) Image search: [Google]
Spell-Check.png
93KB, 486x556px
>irish """""""""""""""""""""literature"""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>8680125
post your favourite Victorian /lit/
>>
File: victorhugo.jpg (11KB, 168x276px) Image search: [Google]
victorhugo.jpg
11KB, 168x276px
>>8680902
>finish pic related
>end up more miserable

wtf I hate france now!?
>>
>>8680902
Just finished slogging through the essays in the back of that edition for an intro to literary theory class. Is theory going to get any better, or should I just jump ship and stick with history and philosophy?
>>
>>8680974

Reclaim theory
>>
>>8680213
>>
>>8680902
I saw this movie, it was real good
>>
File: trash.jpg (6KB, 196x257px) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
6KB, 196x257px
>There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.
>>
>>8680213
That is an amazing page of writing, the rhythem and musicality and flow of the word choices, the phonology, the sounds are always going up and down and in and out but so smoothly, so interestingly, but rightly (except commodius vicus is a little clunky, and the fall word, and some other stuff), very poetry
>>
>>8681979
instead of praising sentences for their musicality, why not just listen to music
>>
>>8680902
>It is another girl lured by Heathcliff
>>
File: IMG_3688.jpg (76KB, 260x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3688.jpg
76KB, 260x400px
>>8680902
Is this Victorian? I have no idea. It was good though.
>>
>>8681995

I can do both. And the praising is not whats important, the truth is
>>
>>8680902
Pretty much all of Shakespeare.
>>
>>8680902
This is mine too, good taste senpai.

>>8682010
Anyone who reads Wuthering Heights and comes out of it with the idea that Heathcliff is their ideal man is retarded.
>>
>>8682613
Please be a troll.
>>
>>8682017
Yep

>>8682613
That's Elizabethan matey
>>
>>8680974
Stick with it unless you're retarded, eventually you should get your head around it. Critical theory is mostly bullshit in this day and age but it makes you look smart around normies. I hope you have a good teacher. All the best anon.
>>
>>8681967
The Andrea Arnold one? Yeah it was
>>
>>8681967
The book is better.
>>
File: 1416412025090.gif (2MB, 200x133px) Image search: [Google]
1416412025090.gif
2MB, 200x133px
>french literature of any fucking period
>"I was at Le Monsieur de Baguette L'escargo de Croissant Café where I found Mademoiselle le Faguette to which we both orderd à la carte pâté le flognarde and le Époustouflant 1874 vintage Vín and de la 60 year aged ecru fromage and blah blah blah I am fucking gay..."

Literally what is even the point of translating this shit again?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.