[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do italics used as conveying certain inflection translate to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: BUcGv.png (47KB, 1344x316px) Image search: [Google]
BUcGv.png
47KB, 1344x316px
Do italics used as conveying certain inflection translate to other languages? I have never seen the text of a non-english latin language play with the text on the page visually, not considering signage.

Like: wtf do brackets around certain words or pieces of dialogue in Japanese manga even mean? What is the Eng. version of that???
>>
>>8680071
Even in English the better practice is to rearrange the sentence so the emphasis is natural.
>>
>>8680071
Pretty sure the brackets is their way of emphasizing, the english version is italics.
And i'm pretty sure italics is used in most, if not all, languages using the roman alphabet.
>>
>>8680142
No, that doesn't work, you'd know that if you just tried it.
Also, it'd be extremely restricting prose-vise
>>
>>8680162
I'd like to think it can be achieved by someone talented.
>>
>>8680165
It can be heavily implied, but not much more.
>>
>>8680168
If you believe that then the idea that emphasis is only possible to convey with italics is a lot more restrictive prose-wise...
>>
>>8680177
First of all, i don't believe that, and second: no it isn't.
>>
>>8680177
Being able to convey emphasis by constructing the sentence a certain way vs. Emphasizing by using italics and constructing the sentence however you like.
Hmmm.
>>
>>8680181
I mean, having italics only vs. italics + other means is a pretty clear victory for options.
>>
>>8680191
Wait, it sounded more like you were arguing no italics vs italics and other means.
>>
>>8680187
>>8680181
Ah just misunderstood, nvm pardon me.
>>
>>8680142
>>Even in English the better practice is to rearrange the sentence so the emphasis is natural.
false. but only typographers and good writers can pull it off. the pleb should stay away from typography and in fact does not even learn it. writing on the internet where typography is raped at each message makes the pleb even less able to reflect on how to write properly.
>>
Japanese sometimes uses a katakana or unusual kanji for emphasis.
>>
>>8680071
Brackets in Japanese are quotes. They also have a separate alphabet that can be used like italics, including writing foreign words and emphasizing Japanese words.
>>
>>8680168
>heavily implied
>>
>>8681159
Ooh, versatile~
>>
in Latin you can place a word at the beginning of a sentence to emphasize it
>>
ewqwq
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.