[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working on a book, but hit a snag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 151352253252.jpg (10KB, 300x320px) Image search: [Google]
151352253252.jpg
10KB, 300x320px
So the story I'm currently is an original world, inspired by real-life cultures and history. It involves an extremely large empire which I'm modelling after 300AD Western Rome. Most aspects seem easy to mutate or change.

However, one in particular is military organization. Rome organized their troops by cohorts, legions, centuries, auxillaries, and some of these terms are still in use today. The problem is that these terms are inherently Roman, so would it make sense that a world without Romans would use these very Roman words?

Almost every fantasy story made in the last century has swords, bows, spears, and shields(and are named as such), so is it silly to worry about this? I'm not even sure if using those words would or should be criticisable.
>>
>>8679703
Just write the story and stop worldbuilding. These things will come to you naturally.
>>
As long as it makes sense within the context of the story then it will make sense in the story. If there's a reason why it shouldn't happen then it will be annoying, but if it's a possibility then no one really cares.

If you want to be autistic about it, then give a reason why it's like that. I don't know why the roman soldiers were organized in that way, but maybe organize them in that way in English, or whatever language the story is in.
>>
being a romefag I can tell you it was just the language then.
Why would they speak english?
>>
>>8679710
>>8679717
>>8679807
All good points.
I imagine I'll make it so the empire speaks a primary language, which for all intents and purposes is English.
>>
>>8679703
This is a great example of an issue that should be left to editing. You can always go back and change the words into something fantastical later on. It's your world, after all, and you shouldn't let the simple logic of wording and history inhibit your creative process this early on. The reader ultimately won't care what you call them, as long as you don't leave them confused or lost at any part in the story. The final draft will sort these things out on its own, right now just focus on plot and character development. Best of luck!
>>
>>8679703
LARS!
>>
>>8679910
Sounds like a good plan, thanks all.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.