[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yeah, ok... https://youtu.be/1cuccco2umo?t=1m2s bonus content at ~8:00

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: JUST.png (632KB, 779x519px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.png
632KB, 779x519px
Yeah, ok...

https://youtu.be/1cuccco2umo?t=1m2s
bonus content at ~8:00
>>
I'm normally pretty forgiving of pompous talkin' from legit smart dudes, but Bloom definitely seems like he hams it up a bit. There's a bit of gay theatre in him or something.
>>
Butthurt guntard?
>>
>>8678548
>1cuccco
damn...
>>
>>8678584
I just think its weird that hes so fanny-flustered about sanders supporters studying blood meridian as a critique of american imperialism, when he read it as a critique of the second amendment and gun culture.

Also, if he really hates the politicization of literature, wouldn't he be supportive of GWB not reading any books [which is false]? That way George couldn't recite lines from the Iliad as a call to arms etc.

given how he is lauded on this board for his 'anti-political defense of the canon' this criticism seems salient
>>
File: He's_right_you_know.jpg (52KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
He's_right_you_know.jpg
52KB, 640x478px
>>
File: 1439237530388.png (110KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1439237530388.png
110KB, 256x256px
>>8678618
>>8678548
Its pure ideology, there is no apolitical readings of literature
>>
File: 4mxYYxz.jpg (299KB, 438x1200px) Image search: [Google]
4mxYYxz.jpg
299KB, 438x1200px
>>8678548
>Why do you insist we need to memorize poetry, Mr. Bloom?
Democracy.
>I'm sorry, could you ela-
DEMOCRACY
>>
>>8678627
/thread
>>
>>8678618
When did he say anything about Sanders? I assume he voted for Sanders.
>>
>[Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes] merited inclusion as the very last item in Harold Bloom's controversial list of what he considered to be the most important works of literature, The Western Canon (1994).

An excerpt:

Louis Ironson: Well, oh boy. A gay Republican.

Joe Pitt: Excuse me?

Louis Ironson: Nothing.

Joe Pitt: Oh, I'm not... no, forget it.

Louis Ironson: Not... Republican? Not Republican?

Joe Pitt: What?

Louis Ironson: What.

Joe Pitt: Not gay. I'm not gay.

Louis Ironson: Oh. Sorry. It's just that sometimes you can tell by the way a person sounds. I mean, you sound...

Joe Pitt: No, I don't. Like what?

Louis Ironson: Like a Republican.

Joe Pitt: Do I sound like a...?

Louis Ironson: What? Like a Republican? Or do I?

Joe Pitt: Do you what?

Louis Ironson: Sound like a...

Joe Pitt: Yeah. Like a... I'm confused.

Louis Ironson: Yes. My name is Louis but all my friends call me Louise. I work in word processing. Thanks for the toilet paper.

[Joe goes to speak, but Louis quickly plants a kiss on his cheek before exiting, leaving Joe slightly shocked]
>>
>>8679220
I hate this style of dialogue, those unfinished sentences are so frustrating.
>>
>>8679233
Isn't that the point?
>>
>>8678559
He learned English by reading Romantic poetry, so it's unsurprising.
>>
>>8679166
he never did, i just used "sanders supporters" to approximate his 'school of resentment' because in undergrad the correspondence is more or less 1:1. sorry if i confused you or if that was unfair of me.

>>8679220
wow thats something. he's disavowed the list though, and he might just be forecasting rather than hoping w/r/t this entry.

i also see the book is from 1994. the video in OP is obviously pre-2000 as well. i wonder if hes changed his mind.

>>8679233
agreed.
>>
>>8679242
Well, then the point is stupid.
>>
>>8679284

No, Bloom genuinely loves Tony Kushner's work and I'm pretty sure is friends with him IRL. Although he says:

>Kushner passionately insists that he is a political dramatist, but reading his plays and attending their performance persuade me otherwise.

source: Bloom's Modern Critical Interpretations essay collection on Kushner
>>
>>8679233
It's a fucking play. Have you ever read Chekhov?
>>
>>8679461
No.
>>
>>8679685
Then do so.
>>
>>8679721
Okay.
>>
>>8679736
Seriously, do it. He's, together with Ibsen, the most important dramatist of the 19th century. I'm not saying you have to run right now to the nearest bookstore to get his complete works, but you should pick him up sometime.
>>
>>8679801
>Ibsen
truuuuuu
>>
>>8679220
it's like John Green wrote a dialogue
>>
File: 1476215616078.png (22KB, 804x743px) Image search: [Google]
1476215616078.png
22KB, 804x743px
Having an opinion on the literacy of the president isn't the "politicization of literature" you moron
>>
>>8678627
I had a dream last night where I shot him as he berated me for not being original.

His future self congratulated me, shook my hand and said he was proud.

Also I was Big Boss.
>>
>>8681491
yes, just casually ignore the most integral part of the post.
>>
Bloom has the wondrous power to open any book and yet read whatever bullshit fuckery he wants.
>>
>>8682256
What are you talking about?
>>
>>8679283
Fuckin what? He's from the Bronx.
>>
>>8682270
He reads whatever he wants into a book.
>>
>>8682271

He's from a Jew neighbourhood and a Yiddish only speaking home and went to Yiddish school. He first learned English visually, from books. He says it explains his idiosyncratic pronounciation.
>>
>>8682276
I understood what you said but I see no reason for you to believe this.
>>
>>8682288
Have you read him?
>>
>>8682298
I've partially read some of his "Bloom’s Modern Critical Views" books but he only does the introduction for those.
>>
>>8679220
That's pretty funny, to be honest.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.