[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it retarded to study for a PhD in English Lit in 2016? Has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: saunders.jpg (20KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
saunders.jpg
20KB, 460x276px
Is it retarded to study for a PhD in English Lit in 2016?

Has anybody here ever returned to college to study a Masters / PhD years after graduating?

I'm thinking of starting an MA in literature but I'd be 26 when I start and by the time I'd complete a PhD I'd be in my 30s. Not sure if it's worth the risk desu.
>>
A masters is worth it. PhD if you feel you can contribute something worthwhile to the field.
>>
>>8677338
What is the point of a Masters in EngLit if you don't go on to study a PhD?
>>
>>8677338
"if you feel you can contribute something worthwhile to the field?"

Holy shit, do you need a reality check? How could you be so casual about it. A PhD is a massive, massive investment of time and money. And do you know how difficult it is to get a good, tenure track job in academia? Even more so if you're shooting for at least a flagship state university.
>>
>>8677328
Yes.
Yes.
It's not.
Buy my doctorate for the price of my student loan, please.
>>
>>8677328
early 30s is pretty young to finish a PhD. at absolute minimum you are gonna be 29 or 30 when you finish, so 31 or 32 just means you took a few years off like one should between BA and PhD
>>
I have a BA in English (from a NY state school...), but during college I was thinking of getting into journalism (journalism minor, editorial internship)...Now I'm not sure if that kind of life is for me, what with all the tweeting and multi-media shit you need to do.

I hate tweeting...and I don't even have a smartphone...and I think I would be unhappy if I had to use those things constantly. I just thought reporting and interviewing were fun--things that wouldn't get boring too quickly.

Anyway, I've been thinking about other fields of graduate study to pursue (minored in history as well)...But I don't know much about the financial aspect of that. Of course, I am interested in aid/fellowships/etc...

Do schools generally give more aid to students with high undergrad GPAs? I've read on,here about people who went to community college/state school, excelled, and went on to undergrad/graduate school for significantly less money. However, I'm not sure about the accuracy of such testimony.

And I've always heard that getting a doctorate is an exorbitant thing, but don't Phd students get stipends, too? I know it varies from school to school, but I would assume that a stipend could offset the cost of school (unless it's meager, I guess...).

I feel like these are naive questions...But they are mine nonetheless...
>>
PhD isn't 'worth' it in almost any field. Masters degree is the new bachelor's degree though.
>>
>>8677856
im starting my BA at 31, hold me /lit/
>>
>>8677917
we're all gonna make it bro
>>
>>8677915
I have a couple friends who got funded ivy phds in chemistry, one is now going for tenure at an ivy, another is working in big pharma, both work nice hours and love what they do.

Seems absolutely worth it
>>
>>8677935

do your two anecdotal instances really undermine the claim that it is "almost never" worth obtaining a PhD generally?
>>
>>8677917
Do you have or have had a job? I'm 20, still finishing highschool, because I'm a damned moron (HS does work a bit differently in the country I'm from).
>>
>>8677948
Yes, a funded PhD in STEM is absolutely worth it. I know several MD/PhD as well, and that is worth it as well.
>>
>>8677958
hm, not totally. not the guy you were responding to. but i know several people getting physics PhDs across ivies and most of them wish they had cut and run with the MS. the additional years of hard work for the PhD are probably not worth the lost time at the jobs that an MS could get you with a finance firm or something like that. marginal maybe, probably not worth from a cost/benefit standpoint tho.

as a whole though, it's not really "worth" it in any case. if it's personally satisfying and you think you can hack the academic job market and say something interesting, go for it, but there will never be a lot of money to be made in academia. it's a commitment almost akin to a church position.
>>
>>8677907
I work in journalism. Many journalist first study EngLit and then do an MA in Journalism or study for a recognized journalist certificate (usually six months).

Also chances are you won't be the kind of household name worthy of tweeting etc. Unless you're very experienced (internships), precoscious or dedicated to one sector (sport journalism, tech journalism) you'll probably either work on some regional paper or find a junior reporter position at Chemicals Weekly or something. My advice is to figure out what you want to write about for 9 hours a day and go balls-to-the-wall in getting the relevant experience to do so.
>>
Just started in MA in literature at 28 after graduating at 21, and still do two days a week as a copywriter (a job I got after a couple of years as a barman and a 6 month internship).

Very happy so far, and having the MA will mean I'm more knowledgeable to write about what interests me. If I end up as a writer of throwaway literature articles for a book blog etc. I'll be happy, and if I ace it (which as an older, better-read, less drunk chap than when I did my BA is achievable) I can think about continuing into academia.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.