[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a literature pleb. Where should I start if I want to get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

I am a literature pleb. Where should I start if I want to get into literature?

I've only read a few books that I really liked like pic related

I also liked The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul, the Hitchhiker's Guide series, and Fight Club.

I've read all the Harry Potter books but I thought they were dumb.

I tried to read Infinite Jest and The Pale King but they were too much for me and I couldn't finish it.

I'm basically a retard when it comes to books. Please help me /lit/
>>
>>8671047
Read that book in your OP and tell me if it's good. I figure pulizer prize winners are a good place for plebs.
>>
>>8671058
I have read it. I thought it was really good.
>>
>>8671062
Oh. I missed that.

Read American Psycho. It's very funny in an absurd kind of way.
>>
>>8671047

Do you want to read to be considered well-read? Or do you want to read because you enjoy reading?

If you want to be "well-read" continue to browse /lit/, go to the /lit/ recommended wiki, and read all the books on the /lit/ top 100. Then you'll be ready to have pretentious conversations about how you didn't like a book because it didn't "challenge" you.

If you want to read because you enjoy reading, go use GoodReads.
>>
>>8671083
Both

I also liked reading the Goosebumps books when I was a kid. They were v comfy
>>
>>8671047
So you like picaresque literature. Start with Lazarillo of Tormes and after go for Moll Flanders.
>>
>>8671047
Read The Hobbit. Don't read LotR, tho. It's not as good
>>
Read Orwell's 1984 and stuff by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Marquez is kind of wordy, though-but not nearly as much so as DFW.
>>
File: starter.jpg (118KB, 483x960px) Image search: [Google]
starter.jpg
118KB, 483x960px
Pick some of these based on their cover and read them. Once you know what you like, look up books from the same author/movement/epoch/country and read those. Keep doing this and refining your taste. Reading books that are "important" only matters if it helps you to contemplate the books you are truly interested in. Trying to be "well read" is inane, having unique and compelling opinions on what you have read is much more important.
>>
>>8671047
You'll probably really enjoy Catch-22
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.