[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What good does reading good literature provide for its own sake?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Socrates_Pio-Clementino_Inv314.jpg (1MB, 1300x1740px) Image search: [Google]
Socrates_Pio-Clementino_Inv314.jpg
1MB, 1300x1740px
What good does reading good literature provide for its own sake?
>>
Define 'good'.
>>
The real answer is: who gives a shit? Imma drift faggot. I walk with the dogs.
>>
Keeps you quiet and away from me.
>>
>>8669638
You get to define it. Whatever is beneficial towards you that is not for the sake of something else.
>>
>>8669646
>>8669652
What on earth are you guys on about?
>>
>>8669629

Practices your brain's capacity for rational and logical thinking. Something you need for truly penetrating a good book in order to understand what the author had in mind for you to understand.
>>
>>8669629
>what good does it provide
>for its own sake

You're mixing up instrumental worth with intrinsic worth. Make up your mind.
>>
>>8669629
None. It's up to the author to put something in the work for you to take away and up to you to take something away from it.
>>
>>8669629
Huh? It's enjoyable? Entertaining? The fuck kind of question is this.
>>
>>8670246
You're wrong.
>>8670379
You answered it so I think you know the fuck kind of question it was.
>>
>>8669629
enjoyment.
experiencing someone else's thoughts
experiencing someone else's craft for writing
experiencing emotions
learning stuff
sexual arousal.
>>
>>8669629
>Why is it good to immerse in something we established as good?
>>
>>8669629
>education
>improves your language skills
>improves critical thinking
>shows you worlds beyond your imagination
>trains your creativity
>entertainment

I thought these were obvious.
>>
it's hard to think of the negatives
>>
>>8670379
edgy masochist detected. enjoy your nervous breakdown kid.
>>
>>8669629
There really is no point to reading unless you just enjoy it
>>
>>8670972
Best post ITT
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.