[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Infinite Jest general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1453083675127.jpg (54KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1453083675127.jpg
54KB, 640x360px
So what happened with the samizdat? I just finished the book tonight and more or less loved it up to the end, where it felt like 100 pages were just plain missing. I reread the first "Year of Glad" chapter, and the bit about Hal and Gately digging up J.O.I's head was enlightening, but it seems like there's too much of a gap for the book to feel at all complete.

>inb4 the plot isn't the """""""point"""""""
>>
Or was absolutely the entire book narrated by J.O.I. out of some conceit of wanting his final film to be viewed as Entertaining, or something?
>>
>>8667100
i'm not reading this because of spoilers and i'm leaving the thread after this, maybe view this in the archive later on because i'm reading IJ right now, 43 pages in and loving it except wardine be cry.
>>
>>8667105
Eh. Spoiler's don't actually spoil this book all that much, as you'll find out. The things that are surprising in it will surprise you either way, purely by the way that they're written. Glad you're liking it so far - honestly, it took me getting halfway through before I was really into it and catching most everything that's going on.
>>
File: david_woster_fallace.jpg (106KB, 998x814px) Image search: [Google]
david_woster_fallace.jpg
106KB, 998x814px
bumping with DWF
>>
DFW wanted to create a book in which he could convince the reader to engage in tackling something challenging and not immediately satisfying. The ending is a part of this. Dig deeper, it's the final boos. The clues are there. Don't ask for an easy answer, because that is what DFW wants to warn about with this book (Which only matters, of course, if you care about what he wanted to do with this and maybe even agree with his fear on what contemporary culture does to the individuals who live in it)
>>
im hungover so i dont have the energy or will to write a lengthy reply but i also just finished the book and yeah i absolutely fucking loved it. so sad at the end when mario keeps asking hal why hes sad.

i feel depressed now that im finished, gaping void...
>>
>>8667483
Yup, Mario (and that family's dialogues in general) fucked me up in a big way.
>>
I agree. I loved Infinite Jest probably until the last 50 pages or so. I felt like it should've ended a bit earlier instead of mostly Gately in a hospital bed. I did enjoy parts of that bit, but it mostly dragged on. It's still one of my favourite books though, and I would love to reread it when I get the time.
>>
>>8668555
Where do you think it should've ended then? Like, I wanted to see what happened when the wheelchairs rolled out into the exhibition tennis match. And while not necessary, it would've been awesome (and taken wayyyyy longer) to explore how Hal/Mario were cornered into helping them.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.