[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any Philip K Dick fans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: pkd.jpg (132KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
pkd.jpg
132KB, 340x340px
Would like to read, curious about other opinions. What do you like/dislike about him/his novels and why?
>>
>>8662560
His writing is unremarkable. His ideas are fantastic, albeit dated and forever frozen in a cold war mentality. Start with a short story compilation to get a feel for him; decide for yourself.
>>
>>8662560
Did you start a thread to discuss Philip K. Dick without ever reading him yourself?
Please fuck off and read Ubik
>>
>>8662569

I have it in my hands right now.
>>
File: pkd_robot.jpg (32KB, 470x312px) Image search: [Google]
pkd_robot.jpg
32KB, 470x312px
i dislike him because a lot of his work shows a basic ignorance of science. anyone who calls himself a science fiction writer should know enough to not put a colony on an asteroid the size of Iowa and not give a damn about minor details like, oh, i don't know, what keeps the AIR FROM ESCAPING.

also he was a robot.
>>
>>8662596
>I don't like it because it doesn't abide by the rules of science
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>8662596
Not all science fiction needs to be 1:1 realistic you turd.
>>
>>8662809
right. there's a word for sf that ignores what we know of science.

it's called fantasy.
>>
I've only read Valis which was fantastic. Going to read The Simulacra and The Penultimate Truth soon.

>>8662567
I think this is on the money. Unremarkable writing, fantastic ideas. As I foremost value ideas, it isn't an issue for me.
>>
Only read A Scanner Darkly but it's one of my favourite books
>>
His works share a lot of similar themes so if you just read book after book of his you feel like you are reading the same thing again
>>
>>8662560
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is a must read

Ubik is fantastic

I was disappointed by Man in the High Castle

VALIS was alright

Time out of Joint and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch are pree good.

Flow My Tears the Policeman Said is GOD-TIER
>>
>>8665057
Have you read A Scanner Darkly? I think it's up there with Ubik
>>
>>8665057
>Man in the High Castle
A meme known only because of the presence of le nazis. It was clickbait before its time. It did its job of selling well. His worst book from the dozen of him I've read. Well, desu I didn't even finish it.
>>
>>8662560
The writing is alright but nothing that will stand the test of time. It's passable to present his ideas in a narrative.

As for the ideas, as >>8662567 said some of it will seem bizarrely dated when he goes into pseudo-political stuff.
I have only read three books of him and no commentary, but I guess he was in tune with some of Carl Jung and Mircea Eliade. Any anon can confirm this?
>>
I've noticed a lot of people shitting on High Castle lately, but I thought it was at least on par with his other material. I found his focus on artifacts and their forgeries a particularly compelling spin on the theme of 'reality' that dominates his work. It's probably the most grounded of his work from what I've read, but I thought he pulled it off.
>>
>>8662560
I've only read A Scanner Darkly and Martian Timeslip, but I loved them both.
Read a few chapters of Ubik but I wasn't taken by it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.