[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Surrealism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Surreal_literature.jpg (1MB, 1697x2599px) Image search: [Google]
Surreal_literature.jpg
1MB, 1697x2599px
What do you think of Surrealism? Does it give the sensation of a dream-like state, or is it unorganized nonsense? I've only read a few surrealist works so far but each of them were great. There's something kind of provocative about it.
>>
>>8662316

I wish someone would upload a folder of high quality PDFs of this list. So many of them can it be found on the Internet.
>>
>>8662316
i enjoy surrealism. theyre aesthetically pleasing but at the same time point to the incongruities and absurdities that we take for granted in everyday life. the relation between kafka's writings and "kafkaesque situations" is the clearest example of this for me.
>>
>>8662326
>PDFs
Why do you have yourself? Anyway there's a /lit/ folder which must have a good number of them as ebooks >>8647394
>>
>>8662340
Yes, rather than try to make the mundane seem extraordinary, it appreciates absurdity instead. I'm going to try and build up an appetite for this, then have another go at reading stream of conscious writing. It might help, it might not.

>>8662427
Thank you for pointing to that, hadn't seen surrealism there earlier.
>>
I would advice you all to read Flaubert's The temptation of Saint Anthony

It is a play that cant be acted in a theater (at most a very expensive animated movie) about a series of hallucinations/mystic experiences/deliriums.

near the end, he rides the devil, and the devil takes him outside the galaxy, and outside the milky way, to show him the universe, just to give you an example.

this is how it ends

And, next, the plants are indistinguishable from the stones.
Pebbles bear a resemblance to brains, stalactites to udders, and iron-dust to tapestries adorned with figures. In pieces of ice he can trace efflorescences, impressions of bushes and shells—so that one cannot tell whether they are the impressions of those objects or the objects themselves. Diamonds glisten like eyes, and minerals palpitate.
And he is no longer afraid! He lies down flat on his face, resting on his two elbows, and, holding in his breath, he gazes around.
Insects without stomachs keep eating; dried-up ferns begin to bloom afresh; and limbs which were wanting sprout forth again.
Finally, he perceives little globular bodies as large as pins’ heads, and garnished all round with eyelashes. A vibration agitates them.
Antony, in ecstasy—
“O bliss! bliss! I have seen the birth of life; I have seen the beginning of motion. The blood beats so strongly in my veins that it seems about to burst them. I feel a longing to fly, to swim, to bark, to bellow, to howl. I would like to have wings, a tortoise-shell, a rind, to blow out smoke, to wear a trunk, to twist my body, to spread myself everywhere, to be in everything, to emanate with odours, to grow like plants, to flow like water, to vibrate like sound, to shine like light, to be outlined on every form, to penetrate every atom, to descend to the very depths of matter—to be matter!”
The dawn appears at last; and, like the uplifted curtains of a tabernacle, golden clouds, wreathing themselves into large volutes, reveal the sky.
In the very middle of it, and in the disc of the sun itself, shines the face of Jesus Christ.
Antony makes the sign of the Cross, and resumes his prayers.
>>
>>8662926
Trippy. But why would you post the ending?
>>
>>8663032

because it isnt really plot driven, it is like thinking you can spoil poetry.

and it is quite famous, so I only had to google shine like light to find it.
>>
>>8662316
>the sensation of a dream-like state
surrealism
>or is it unorganized nonsense
dada
>>
>>8662316
if you're reading something surrealistic you shouldn't force yourself to look for semantics
it isn't ''based''
>>
>>8662316
I've always enjoyed surreal visual art and cinema.

Do these authors use uncanny and disconnected imagery in a similar way? Or is the idea of surrealism in literature more about abstract structure or prose than it is surreal narrative or characters?
>>
File: paprika.jpg (52KB, 853x448px) Image search: [Google]
paprika.jpg
52KB, 853x448px
>>8664542
I thought Dada is just surrealism + anti-art?

>>8665237
Yeah so far it's been quite the learning experience. You don't seem to use conventional reading skills to absorb it.
>>
>>8662926
Thanks anon, put this on a reading list for a friend and I.
>>
>>8662316
Surrealism is provocative because its aim is to shake reason a little bit by pointing towards dreams, randomness and rendez-vous as a real thing that, like love, changes everything you can experience.
unlike my dear dada
>>
>>8667232
Surrealism stopped being revolutionary the moment it became a superficial influence on the arts
Dada didn't
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.