[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

James Joyce

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: JJ_1915.jpg (20KB, 363x496px) Image search: [Google]
JJ_1915.jpg
20KB, 363x496px
I rarely post here.

Firstly, I remember reading some anon post about how a relative of Joyce laughed at scholars who would come up with interpretations of his work.

Secondly, what is the point of getting into literature if you just extract meaning that the author didn't intentionally put there? It seems very arbitrary, could anyone disillusion me?
>>
>>8662223
Most of the critical interpretations of Joyce's works are based on things that Joyce himself said about them.
>>
To your second question.
"Meaning" is always the creation of the reader. It is impossible to completely reconstruct the authors intentions from the book alone, and furthermore why would you want to? Literature is not a discipline in search of single answers, books are the soil for our ideas. From the loam of a book you can extract and evince an infinite number of interpretations, the only thing that matters is that your analysis is compelling and thoroughly substantiated. It is all just a big game. The same goes for criticism, people like Harold Bloom know that objective quality doesn't exist in any perceivable form within literature. But he seeks it out anyways as an exercise, because it's fun. That is why you read, because it's fun to consider possibilities, to explore foreign ideas, and experience fictional narratives.
>>
>>8662223
Sometimes the author doesn't know why he writes what he writes. That's the lit-crit line, at least. It's like interpreting a dream, sometimes somebody other than the dreamer is the better interpreter. Sure, very often artists have programs and say things deliberately, but they also say things not deliberately, without knowing they're saying them. That's what it means to interpret the work and not the author's intentions.
>>
You can read just to find out what Joyce said.
Or you can read to find out how what Joyce said relates to your life and experiences.

If reading is just data transference then it is a pretty poor business. It is much more valuable to find more meaning than the author supplied.
>>
>>8662261
This is a way better way of expressing what I was trying to say.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.