[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best translation of The Divine Comedy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1470134020530.jpg (262KB, 565x807px) Image search: [Google]
1470134020530.jpg
262KB, 565x807px
>>
>>8661875
>>>/thewiki/
>>
>>8661885
It's not like this board has interesting discussion going on.
>>
>>8661875
vulgate
>>
File: 1476211788665.jpg (891KB, 1400x5316px) Image search: [Google]
1476211788665.jpg
891KB, 1400x5316px
>>
What about the Carlyle-Okey-Wicksteed translation? Can't seem to find any info concerning its quality.
>>
>>8662362
i am still annoyed how english speakers so love to ruin the original meter and rhyme schemes so they think it's preferable to translate rhymed stuff in blank or even free verse
>>
>>8662432
So Ciardi?
>>
>>8662432
Most translators are not immortal poets. Maintaining the original meter and rhyme scheme makes a hard job even harder.
>>
>>8662439
Even Ciardi uses a "defective" rhyme scheme. In Dante, the first and third lines rhyme, and the second and fourth lines rhyme, but Ciardi adheres only to the former rule. His Dante is rendered in groups of three lines in which the first and the third lines rhyme, but then the next group of three lines has a first and third line that rhymes differently.

Dorothy L. Sayers and Laurence Binyon use full-on terza rima. Both are considered pretty good. Bloom recommends Binyon, but he's out of print. Sayers is available from Penguin.

When it comes to translations of poetry, you're often choosing between the most beautiful and the most faithful. If you just want to know what Dante said, read a prose translation. There's a taboo here on /lit/ against reading foreign poetry in prose, but it's unreasonable. There is no English version that rivals the original Italian as poetry. When you read Dante in English verse, you're always reading so-so English poetry. You might as well just go for what Dante actually said, and then go read some Milton. For prose translations, Bloom recommends John D. Sinclair.
>>
>>8662432
God you're an idiot.
>>
As for OP, I read Hollander and thought it was excellent.
>>
>tfw unironically likes vanilla Longfellow the best
>>
>>8662621
I second this. I especially love the fact that it has the Italian next to the translation.
>>
>>8661875
the new Hungarian translation, made by based Nádasdy desu senpai
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.