[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

level up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: iu.jpg (63KB, 632x720px) Image search: [Google]
iu.jpg
63KB, 632x720px
now that i'm finally done with the bible, i have some XP to spend - what attributes should i spend them on? what doors are now open to me? dante? milton? hitchens?

keep in mind that i've now read everything up to and including the bible, in terms of stuff that has ever been recorded.
>>
>>8661874
Spend it on a charisma boost.
>>
Book of Mormon
>>
>>8662270
ooo, i read in new york magazine (or was it the new yorker!?) this was supposed to be hilarious!
>>
>>8662282
it really is worth reading imo. It's simultaneously retarded and profound.
>>
>>8662304
you didn't mean the critically acclaimed play by the creators of SOUTH PARK!? i luuv broadway, but i just don't get to time square enough anymore. woof.
>>
>>8661874
I'm planning to read the Bible soon OP, any tips? (Which version, how long did it take to read, pacing, anything else?)
>>
>>8662566
i read the kjv, which seems to not be so popular here. it took fucking forever, and i'm not a stranger to longer books. once you're past the torah (first five books/pentateuch/whatever) the old testament starts to WEAR. then you get to jesus and it finishes quick. i'd recommend picking up a book, or reading lots of wikis about how exactly they think the text came together. i read 'a very short introduction to the bible' and thought it was interesting.

you gotta be in it for the long haul.
>>
File: 70072a2.jpg (17KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
70072a2.jpg
17KB, 400x400px
>>
>>8662575
the thing I found when reading the old testament is that like 10% was the stories I already knew, with a few interesting details, and then the rest is just like endless lists of names and shit.

I'll admit that I know dick about history, but the old testament really wasn't designed for joe schmo to read. It was designed for a special, literate class of priests and cultural historians. Hence all of the really boring lists and shit. It's like reading the US legal code or something just for the shit of it.

New Testament is a lot better and seems to be the exact opposite, directly addressing everybody.

>>8662566
I guess what I'm saying is that reading the whole Bible all the way through isn't really worth it unless you're going through seminary or something. There's a lot you really can skip
>>
>>8662575
>>8662617
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I picked up one of those Modern English translations at a flea market. I'm reading it mostly for background information so I'm not concerned with reading it for any sort of prose/poetic merit. I'll look up some guides as to what sections are pertinent.
>>
>>8661874
Augustine's Confessions or Newman's Apologia Pro Vita Sua (Newman is one of the greatest English prose stylists). That or The Divine Comedy.
>>
>>8661874
Did you really fall for the Bible meme?
>>
>>8661874
i thought that was sam harris lol
>>
>>8663632
Wow, that is hilarious, anon
>>
>>8661874
The Quran, obviously. And then Hadith.
>>
File: NewAtheism.png (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
NewAtheism.png
1MB, 1920x1200px
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.