[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paul Beatty is the first American to win the Man Booker Prize

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_6457.jpg (103KB, 1400x788px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6457.jpg
103KB, 1400x788px
Are Black authors there yet?
>More here:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-man-booker-20161025-snap-story,amp.html?client=safari
>>
>>8661018
Sounds like a fun book, like Pynchon-light. Has anyone read it?
Black authors are certainly on a roll.
>>
>>8661095
I added to my "to read list" on Goodreads, I'm 3 books away from reading it. I can't wait!
>>
>>8661018

When blacks move past the fact that they're black their literature might improve.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-26-20-52-56.png (411KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-26-20-52-56.png
411KB, 1080x1920px
Yes, and it is beautiful
>>
>>8661018
Book looks great, Brief History was great last year. We can only hope this means that some black authors are writing about stuff other than being black unlike pic related
>>
>>8661018
I actually think the fact that he won this is fucking disgusting. Didn't he say that he didn't even want to be a writer but people threw money at him to do it anyway and that's how this book came about?
>>
>>8661241
jesus fucking christ
>>
>>8661241
That so absurd it triggered a minor existentialist crisis for me ,thanks anon
>>
File: IMG_6162.png (1MB, 706x934px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6162.png
1MB, 706x934px
>>8661215
"Whom are you quoting?"
>>
>>8662881
>existentialist crisis
Fuck off, googly eyes.
>>
File: 1474511308839.jpg (177KB, 848x674px) Image search: [Google]
1474511308839.jpg
177KB, 848x674px
>>8661241
These days I'm never sure what's a parody and what's real.
>>
>>8661095
More like Pynchon-dark, amirite?
>>
File: throw book.jpg (50KB, 287x332px) Image search: [Google]
throw book.jpg
50KB, 287x332px
>>8661018
>The Sellout, a challenging satire on US race relations

Godammnit America, you are completely obsessed.
>>
>>8663454
I'd say the same thing, but he was on the PBS Newshour and he really seemed like a regular guy who got shoehorned into the usual "black guy writin' about black stuff" role.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/paul-beatty-sellout/
>>
>bunch of skinheads criticizing black authors
>never read black authors
>small penises and low salaries

never change 4chan
>>
>>8661215

This

Just write good books. Fuck your ethnicity. We have enough cunts like Junot Diaz already
>>
>>8663514
He seems like a pretty down to earth guy. I'm happy for him. Is the book any good?
>>
>>8663614
Sounds like he's Our Guy (tm).
>>
>>8663577
Thanks Reddit, how's things with you?
>>
File: pinecone.png (162KB, 649x463px) Image search: [Google]
pinecone.png
162KB, 649x463px
>Born in the "agrarian ghetto" of Dickens--on the southern outskirts of Los Angeles--the narrator of The Sellout resigns himself to the fate of lower-middle-class Californians: "I'd die in the same bedroom I'd grown up in, looking up at the cracks in the stucco ceiling that've been there since '68 quake." Raised by a single father, a controversial sociologist, he spent his childhood as the subject in racially charged psychological studies. He is led to believe that his father's pioneering work will result in a memoir that will solve his family's financial woes. But when his father is killed in a police shoot-out, he realizes there never was a memoir. All that's left is the bill for a drive-thru funeral.Fuelled by this deceit and the general disrepair of his hometown, the narrator sets out to right another wrong: Dickens has literally been removed from the map to save California from further embarrassment. Enlisting the help of the town's most famous resident--the last surviving Little Rascal, Hominy Jenkins--he initiates the most outrageous action conceivable: reinstating slavery and segregating the local high school, which lands him in the Supreme Court.

holy kek
>>
>>8661095
I just finished it. I'm amazed that an American won the Man Booker - I thought they were anathema to the Commonwealth-centric judges.

Pynchon? I can see the influence, but that's not what came to mind most often whilst I was reading it. What came to mind most often was "Holy crap this is just like Confederacy of Dunces." Seriously, it's like Confederacy of Dunces if it was written about a black millennial. The main character is an autist, albeit one not quite so lost as our patron-saint Ignatius, and much of the humour is derived from watching him try to interact with a world beyond his grasp and which is unable to grasp him. It's less meta-referential than Pynchon, more slapstick than slick, and has more to say about the absurdity of modern life than about race relations.

Ultimately I recommend it, but perhaps if you're an American it's too close to the bone for the humour to really shine through. You might get stuck only reading it as an ingratiating allegory, which it is in some parts, but overall 'The Sellout' owes more to John Kennedy Toole than Thomas Pynchon.
>>
File: 1460527847668.png (23KB, 212x172px) Image search: [Google]
1460527847668.png
23KB, 212x172px
Why did they decide to include Americans in the award?
>>
>>8663622
She's making it sound good.

I swear these sjw cucks are anti smoking 2.0
Whatever they say, the opposite sounds cool
>>
>>8661018
Cool. Might check it out, A Brief History of Seven Killings was fun enough.
>>
>>8661215
desu I agree, at least in the sense that as long as their books are so focused on racism/post-colonialism, they're limiting themselves and making it hard to say anything that hasn't already been said. Probably a generalization, but certainly my experience.
>>
>>8663775
So it's a fucking Family Guy episode. Wonderful.
>>
File: 1460552251903.png (72KB, 325x282px) Image search: [Google]
1460552251903.png
72KB, 325x282px
>>8664176
I haven't read it yet, but how the fuck does that sound like a Family guy episode? Have you even read Confederacy of Dunces?
>>
It's very, very good, the problem is idiots who haven't read the book are pigeonholing him into the "feel good, Color Purple, Maya Angelou, black guy writes about bein' black" category. The book is zanily offensive. It's as likely to offend so-called SJWs as it is right-wingers. He effectively satirises extant racism and patronising liberal pandering with equal verve. I thought it was too edgy to win.
>>
>>8661215

eh... this is a bit unfair to say. Sure, many are obsessed with slavery and racism etc. like Alice Walker and Toni Morrison. Some are middle of the road like Ishmael Reed. But some are truly amazing like Ralph Ellison, Jay Wright, James Baldwin, etc, who are still forced to be considered "black obsessed" for writing good works which are simply about black people because they lived in black areas. Imagine that!

I agree that the usually peddled "black authors" suck ass in general, but many are great. If Paul Beattie won the man booker fair and square (I'm sure he did), then I'm sure he wrote a good but hardly experimental and/or amazing novel. Upper middlebrow material. Man Booker picks safe, but high quality novels to peddle to postgraduate single women, basically. No reason for outrage.
>>
>>8663577
Except everyone in the thread before your post doesn't mind the guy
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.