[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greek Literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Alexandros_Papadiamantis.jpg (31KB, 550x404px) Image search: [Google]
Alexandros_Papadiamantis.jpg
31KB, 550x404px
So guys in modern greek literature this man is of the most intricate, eloquent and difficult, authors and many consider him the by far best modern greek author.
I wonder if anyone outside Greece has heard of Αλεξανδρος Παπαδιαμαντης(Alexandros Papadiamntis)
>>
One of his books was published by NYRB Classics, but it's only 144 pages. Feeble. What's his big masterpiece?
>>
>>8660539
His greatest work is considered Fonissa(Φονισσα) which is the female form of murderer. But his works were mainly short stories and a few novels.
144 pages could contain a lot of his greater works.
>>
>>8660550
That's a shame, I find myself unable to read authors who write feeble little novellas. Seems womanly. I actually can't read Kafka because he never wrote a huge book. Philip Roth and Cormac McCarthy I don't read either. What is the purpose of all these 300-pagers? You can have a couple of those, fine, but if by the end of a novelist's life he hasn't written anything longer than 600 pages that summarizes everything he thought about life... then was he really a novelist? I can't respect a writer like that.
>>
Ulysses, The Magic Mountain, Moby-Dick, War and Peace, Anna Karenina, The Brothers Karamazov, Bleak House, Don Quixote -- these are real novels. I don't consider anything under 500 pages to be a masterpiece. Not a true masterpiece.
>>
>>8660566
Well my friend, his works are considered so intricate because his language combines ancient greek and demotic, modern greek, while also encapsulating the spirit of the greeks that has its roots in ancient times, evolved into byzantine christanity, survived 400 years of ottoman slavery and through the revolution 1821 gained an independent state.

That's actually the reason Iwrote this thread- I'd like to know how translations handled this difficult to understand for non-greeks cultural heritance of modern greek culture.
>>
>>8660566
>>8660574
You're such a faggot. Get over yourself
>>
>>8660593
Please my friend, no insults. I know I'm on 4chan, but I'd like to converse culturally.
>>
>>8660574
>I don't consider anything under 500 pages to be a masterpiece. Not a true masterpiece.

What is quality of quantity for $400 alex
>>
>>8660706
*eah* *eah*Sorry, we were looking for 'quality *over quantity'
>>
File: 1468352960965.jpg (216KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1468352960965.jpg
216KB, 500x750px
>>8660531
Any """"""Greek"""""" using monotonic orthography should be shot.
>>
>>8660602
You can't converse culturally you pseud faggot.

Maybe you should go back and start with some short stories (namely Plato) because you clearly haven't learned shit from whatever giant books you've managed to skim through
>>
greek authors of the same quality and even better are
Ilias Petropoulos
Nikos Pentzikis
Ioannis Skaribas
also papadiamantis, in my humble opinion is only meant to be read in greek. It's just to greek for translation
>>
File: 1472922885598.png (15KB, 318x448px) Image search: [Google]
1472922885598.png
15KB, 318x448px
>>8660814
>Ilias Petropoulos
>Ilias
>it's actually Ἠλίας
>>
νταξ ρε μπσιλέ
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.