[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into Descartes? Is Discourse on Method a good intro?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: autorid00047[1].jpg (17KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
autorid00047[1].jpg
17KB, 200x200px
How do I into Descartes?

Is Discourse on Method a good intro? Which one of his writings should I read?
>>
dickart
>>
>>8659309
Discourse on method. You nailed it
>>
>>8659309
your seventh-grade science class!

seriously you only need read him in the flesh if you are deep into the history/historiography of science and philosophy
>>
>>8659309
Sure. But Descartes is a fucking idiot and a YouTube explanation would more than suffice. Don't waste your time, there genuinely isn't a worse big philosopher in history. Not only that, but he's pretty much to blame for all this crap on being 'reasonable' with Enlightenment philosophy and the horrid era in general. Or at least, for reinforcing it.
>>
start with the Greeks
>>
>>8659329
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>8659309
my philosophy 1000 had meditations/discourse on method. watch some lectures on yt, friend.
>>
>>8659309
Yes, the Discourse was in fact meant by Descartes to act as a sort of introduction to his philosophical program. The best editions are the Focus Philosophical Library edition translated by Richard Kennington, and the Hackett edition that pairs it with the Geometry, Meteorology, and Optics. The former edition is a careful translation with a very helpful and eye-opening interpretive essay that shows how subtle the Discourse is, and the latter is actually the original form that the Discourse belonged to, having been set as the first work in a collection of studies by Descartes that the Discourse was in part to act as the justification of.
>>
File: aristotle-17[1].jpg (100KB, 750x625px) Image search: [Google]
aristotle-17[1].jpg
100KB, 750x625px
>>8659309
>Wants to get into Descartes and consequently Cartesian Dualism
Careful anon, there are many problems with his system of metaphysics which one should have trepidations about. You should at least have a grasp of Aristotelian - Scholastic accounts of metaphysics before Descartes and the Duelists.
>>
>>8663683
>there are many problems with his system of metaphysics
such as?
>>
>>8665062
Pretty much all of dualism
>>
>>8659329
calling the papa of modern philosophy a turd: only on /lit/
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.