[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever joined a book club?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: hmmreallymakesmethink.png (136KB, 978x594px) Image search: [Google]
hmmreallymakesmethink.png
136KB, 978x594px
Have you ever joined a book club?
>>
Never join a bookclub - E. Pound's Teacher
>>
first rule of book club is

meetings are at 6 pm est on mondays wednesdays fridays and sundays :)
>>
>Bring philosophy to the masses

OH

GOD

NO
>>
File: wine.png (222KB, 962x508px) Image search: [Google]
wine.png
222KB, 962x508px
>>
>>8659196
>Socrates cafe
>Socrates-style inquiry
I don't think he knows the term "Socratic."

>namedropping Nietzsche and Socrates together
My bet is that he is a well-intentioned but clueless pseud who remains unaware that Socrates never wrote anything, and probably dwells on "God is dead" or some other Nietzsche quotation he picked up somewhere.

I think book clubs can be fun, especially if geared in a specific direction and run by someone who knows what he/she is doing (I was in a Russian lit club run by a native Russian speaker who had connections with Russian language program professors at some of the local universities), but any vague "le big idea discussion" clubs will probably if not necessarily be too watered-down to be worth anything.

Also
>bring philosophy to the masses
Plato explicitly says that "the masses" are incapable of philosophy. Not saying he's necessarily right, but it sure isn't a great sign to be blindly touting Socrates while suggesting a starkly anti-Platonic idea at the same time.
>>
>>8659234
>Muh special hipster intellectual club
>>
>>8659481
>Plato says the masses are incapable of Philosophy
He also said explicitly that even though it seems hopeless the philosopher must try and bring what he has learned of philosophy (aka the good) to educate the masses even though it means they will be despised or even killed.
This was the Allegory of the Cave.
This was literally one of his most important ideas.

Don't go prancing around on your high horse accusing others of being "pseuds" you hypocrite.
>>
>>8659586
You're right that on his return to the cave he does "share his labor and honors," but not in the sense of bringing philosophy itself, rather bringing about its benefits. He does not make all his fellow men philosophers; he rules them as a superior over inferiors:
>But we've made you kings in our city and leaders of the swarm
(520b)

>even though it seems hopeless the philosopher must try and bring what he has learned of philosophy (aka the good) to educate the masses

Totally wrong, and if you find a citation to prove otherwise I'll gladly apologize, but you won't. The most generous interpretation of your error is that you're mixing up the philosopher's role in the Cave with Socrates' stressing in Meno that regardless of the "paradox" of not being able to learn new things, one should nevertheless pursue that seemingly futile endeavor. But I think it would be giving you too much credit to make that connection.

Enjoy:
>Only a few natures possess all the qualities that we just now said were essential to becoming a complete philosopher and that seldom occur naturally among human beings
(491a)

>Keeping all this in mind, recall the following question: Can the majority in any way tolerate or accept the reality of the beautiful itself, as opposed to the meany beautiful things, or the reality of each thing itself, as opposed to the corresponding many?
>Not in any way.
>Then the majority cannot be philosophic.
(493e)

>This was the Allegory of the Cave.
>This was literally one of his most important ideas.
>Don't go prancing around on your high horse accusing others of being "pseuds" you hypocrite.
>this palpable irony

Maybe you should have read that passage more than once faggot.

PS
>talking shit like I missed "literally one of the most important ideas" of the Republic
>suggesting that the rational part of the state (philosophers) should try to bring into its fold the appetitive part of the sate (the masses)
>suggesting the mixture of the "metals" of souls
>suggesting a breakdown between the discrete parts of the tripartite soul
>literally suggesting action contrary to the definition of Justice as that which allows each part of the state/soul to perform its own specific function AND NO OTHER FUNCTION
>yfw an alternative title of Republic is "On Justice"
>yfw your suggestion entirely violates the Platonic conception of justice
>yfw you literally could not have been wrong about a bigger idea as far as Republic is concerned
>>
Joined my grandma's bookclub a few years ago. We both left after 4 months of none of the other members talking about anything other than Harry Potter. All the other members were middle-age moms who were reading the series to try to connect with their kids and be "cool".

>Kind of miss it because it was the only sort of bonding my grandma and I did
>>
>>8659253
What's so bad about drinking a glass of wine while talking about books with the girls every month? They can do a lot of thing while sharing their experience with the book, like talking about that guy at work that keeps flirting with them, or perhaps about how sex with your husband is becoming boring. All of this while they synchronize their periods.
I fucking envy women. They're the comfiest gender there is. They're capable of such a deep connection than even their biology synchronize after a while.
I just wanted to be girl, mom. Why it had to be like this?
>>
>>8659642
You're splitting hairs, faggot.

Also I never said the masses had to be philosophic. I said "the philosopher must TRY and bring back WHAT HE HAS LEARNED OF PHILOSOHPY (aka the good) to EDUCATE THE MASSES."
They don't have to become philosophers
>>
I would be tempted to go only because I'm hopelessly lonely and human interaction with people that like similar things as me sounds great. But prepared for it to be disappointing and for everyone to be a pretentious know-nothing that pontificates about The Myth of Sisyphus, which has happened to me on more than one occasion
>>
>>8660050
a naive goal, anyone who is honest with themselves about the intellectual capabilities of 'the masses' will understand in cynical stride that it's pretty futile, as they will only take pretty soundbytes from what they've been taught like this faggot does in OP's picrelated. It's ok that intelligent people aren't particularly common, in fact our societal framework depends on it
>>
What the fuck's an Ottawa lawl
>>
File: Ugh.png (259KB, 641x279px) Image search: [Google]
Ugh.png
259KB, 641x279px
>>8660077

I know this feel.

I want to be more sociable, but I find it impossible to overlook the stupidity of almost anyone I encounter. Part of me thinks I should maybe lower my expectations and be more accommodating.
>>
>>8659642
I'm going to add that your reading suggests you're neurotic or autistic (or both?). Like you're making everything much more set in stone than it is.
>>
>>8660083

>Part of me thinks I should maybe lower my expectations and be more accommodating.

NEVER DO THIS

Real patricians demand that people elevate themselves to meet their level. They do not lower themselves to that of others.
>>
>>8660050
That is still entirely, demonstrably incorrect, as I literally just showed. Provide a citation that suggests otherwise if you're so adamant.

>>8660084
If there's anything at all set in stone in Republic it's the strict division of the soul. Not everything needs to be argued so strictly, but that trait of Justice is very much one of those things.
>>
>>8659568
Have you looked at what the "masses" do? They very rarely have any real interests and simply follow fads, or would you prefer hearing "omg Plato is sexist" everywhere you go?
>>
>>8660083
it's just about mentality. once you let yourself learn from other people, you will be astounded as to how much there is you can learn from people who seem so very stupid on the outside.
>>
>>8661727

thanks faulkner
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.